Thursday, October 17, 2019

EMPTY


The watershed park was very quiet and empty Wed. morning.
So many memories of my past walks.
I do miss walking there.
Dad is fortunate he can ride his bike there still.
He has gone on a bike ride now.


I remembered it was my brother's birthday so we had a long talk on the phone.  He informed me his card had not arrived and I was sure I had sent it in good time.

His life has now changed dramatically as he is now taking care of his wife Traudl.  She is not doing well mentally or physically.  She is falling a lot and needs to walk with a cane or a walker.  He cannot leave her alone.  He leaves her in the car to get some prescriptions refilled and comes out to find she has gotten out and fallen down on the street by the car.  A young boy helps to pick her up.  This is unbelievable that a person can go down so quickly.  

I  have been meaning to visit Joan in the Nursing Home and dad is willing to drive me so Spenser and I will go visiting together.  The gloom and sadness always hits me when I first walk in.  A group of people are sitting there and a lot of them are sleeping.  The others are very happy and exited to see Spenser.

Joan is in a very paranoid  state of mind.  She does not feel safe there and even thinks they are tryig to kill her.  I talk to a nurse and she comes and speaks to her to reassure her.  It is an exhausting visit where I try my best to listen and be patient.  

We have shared many talks together and I tell her again that she is loved.  It is difficult.  She comes out of herself to tell me to thank dad for driving me and respond to my words of comforting love.  I was grateful for these of appreciation that made her seem more like herself.

I feel very empty as I leave and very thankful that dad and I are doing as well as we are.  I know we can be annoying at times.

I know I need to be aware of the presence of Jesus as I tempt to bring peace and love to this lonely soul.

"True spiritual gratitude embraces all we are and all we are being shaped into being."





4 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

I am saddened to hear of your sister inlaws health. AS a caregiver for Carl for many years I can relate to how difficult it is for your brother. I hope he gets some respite and I hope family realize how difficult it really is. I do't think many of our members understood or knew.

I was thinking about the paranoia that Joan is experiencing could be caused by drugs. If you know her family it would be a good thing to mention it.

In hindsight I think that could have been Carl's problem as well. He took 11 different drugsa day.I will not do that. luckily I am pretty healthy.as a Tai Chi class. I always go too. That means we will do three sets of Tai Chi today. arry

I am so glad that you and Larry are independent and doing ok. Also have that cute little dog.

have a good eveninbm

love Nancy

beth bennett said...

Thank you Nancy Lou.

I wonder if Joan has a bladder problem.

I do not know the family.

Thanks for the comments.

Brian gets a half day respite from the Nursing Home in Invermere.

They give her a bath and luch and she attends a singing activity
and an art class. I told him I think he should have A FULL DAY.

Love beth

Sandra said...

That is nice you can take Spencer in to see people. What did he think of it? Does he sit in the back seat now?

Sandra

beth bennett said...

No HE does not sit in the back seat.

We need help to put his belt on.

Spenser loves attention and he got lots of it.

When he gets tired he just lies down and goes to sleep.I will take him again.

Love
mom