Thursday, April 18, 2019

GIFTS

                                           A rainy day is a gift to my garden.














I am continuing to read about other religions.

"God speaks to us in many ways
in our sacred scriptures
in our deepest selves
and even in the voice of a stranger."  - Thomas Merton

We like to interrupt what meets our own needs.

Muslims and Jews and Christians have much in common because Abraham is seen as being  the father of their religion and their scripture is based on the same words but with different meanings.
 The Buddhists also stress the role of suffering in our lives and the need for compassion.

New information can be unsettling as I find I am examining my faith with new eyes as I search for the truth.  Some truth has become tradition and stresses the role of the church.

The tragedy of the burning of the high pellars  the Nitre Dam Cathedral was a sad sight for all os us to see.  Money is pouring in to rebuild it if they can.

Tragedy hits each one of our lives at different times and different ways.  Even our relationships.  It can be hard to see the gift it brings.

How sad to hear about the death of the mother cat in the care of Sandra and Randy.  She went to heaven with many good memories of rhe time she had in their home.  Her job was finished.

Like many things we say or do,  we wish we could do things differently and  prevent suffering.

For me the cross is a message of how Jesus enters our pain.

Jesus talked about the Kingdom of God being present with is now.

:This is the Kingdom of God.\
The Kingdom of danger and of risk.
The eternal beginning and eternal becoming 0f open spirit and of deep realization
the Kingdom of holy insecurity."  Martin Buber

We search for answers but find new questions.

We accept the gifts that bring peace and comfort in the midst of our darkness.

Good news we have been invited to supper at Carol and Panteli's.




1 comment:

nancy-Lou said...

I find other religions interesting too, Beth. These days we have many more immigrants and we are learning so much from them My doctor at the clinic nearby is a Coptic Christian, an Egyptian and we have some good conversations about our religions and actually how alike they are...I am anglican.

I am sad to hear of the passing of the mother cat too. Poor dear! Do you know what happened? Didn't some of the kittens die as well? My goodness that would be hard on Sandra and Randy. they are so caring for their charges.

Today was a bright sunny day with Eagles and Ravens taking great delight in flying on the upcurrents that the warmer air created. it is fun watching them. It actually was the first warmer day we have had since last September..20C.

I am working way at my house purging and packing. it is such a tiresome job and today I am running on empty. Every time I sit down I fall asleep. I am thinking the new blood pressure meds may be making me tired. I will have to stop thme if the is so or I will not get anything accomplished.

Ken asked our neighbour if one of his teenage sons could take us over to the north side of Elk Island..it is about 3 kms away from our house. We look at it every day because our house is lakefront. It is a lovely view. I want to see the long sand beach on the north side where Lord Wolseley. in 1856, camped with his flotilla of York boats and men. I read a report hee wrote about it and want to do a painting. He stated he stood on the high bank overlooking the beach where there were 50 York boats pulled up along the shore and tents were pitched. there were camp fires too. it is a lovely idea and one I am going to paint.
I was called by a gallery in Winnipeg and we are planning a solo exhibition for later in the fall. 12 historical paintings of the east side of Lake Winnipeg.

But I don't know I will be able to meet the deadline so haven't signed anything. I am finding working on my house very tedious and tiring. I just wish someone would come along andn buy it as it is...wave a magic wand.

How are you and Larry doing? Are you still having troubles with your Celiac Disease? I am. Having a colonoscopy soon...UGH. How are Larry's feet? Still painful? have they not found something that can relieve the pain for him?

Well tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day and that is a good thing as it is really dusty now...especially travelling on the highways where they dumped a ton of salt over the winter. it gets in your eyes and burn.

Have a great evening..
Love Nancy