Friday, September 12, 2008

CHANGES

Changing the name and the routine of the visiters at Peace Arch Hospital. They are no longer called lay-chaplins but spiritual care visiters. The idea is not use to visit but to find out from nurses or the information given by the patient if they have any spiritual need.

They need to become aware of spiritual distress like: "why me", hopelessness, grieving, feeling abandonment by God or religion. Feeling guilty or deserving punishment.

We had been taught that a friendly visit was what most people wanted. Some who were more religous might ask for prayer or scripture. It was all very natural and we let people talk about whatever they wanted.

Now the health provider will be asking "Do you feel at peace with the changes in your life that have come because of your illness?"
"Pain is a hard thing to cope with. Has it been hard for you spiritually?"
"Would you like to speak to someone about your spiritual concerns?"

This includes those of all religions.

To me this is almost like a counceling session not a friendly visit where there is equal sharing of life with it's ups and downs.

"Spirituality is the force that awkens us:
to wonder
to community
to trust
to hope
to healing."

"Spirituality informs us about
Our identity. . . who am I
Our place. . . where do I belong
Our purpose. . . why am I here
Our values. . . how do I live well."

"Spirituality inspires us
to be creative
to build healthy relationships
to cope with change and loss courageously
to invest in the good for all."

These are the new guidelines.
These are big changes that I would think require more education.

I will have to think back to when I was told I had cancer and think about those questions?
I would not be able to answer right away without some thought.

What do you think about someone asking you these questions?
Would you answer differently if you had a life threatning illness?
Why do children seem to cope so amazingly well just from some inner strength?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I left my iron on for amost 24 hours . It was nice to find my house/flat not on fire when I returned .It is worth it to pay the extra 10 bucks on an iron with auto turn off . Curling irons need that as well.
ken