Wednesday, March 4, 2020

BURDENS

"Bear one another's burdens."  St. Paul

Dad and I decide it is time to visit our dear friend Jean at the Peace Arch Hospital.  We both spent years visiting there as lay-chaplains.  The truth is neither one of us likes hospitals.

Jean looked so little fast asleep on her bed.  I bend over to say a little prayer and her eyes pop open and she recognizes me.  Larry comes and stands by me and she smiles hello to him too.  Right away she insists she wants to get up but we think she needs help but not Jean she pulls herself up and swings her feet over the side of the bed and hops down.  A bell starts ringing and two nurses rush in.

They settle her in her chair and offer to bring her tea and she asks for a cookie too.  It comes but it is very small.

We share some of the happy moments we have had at Colebrook.  She has a wonderful sense of humor and we hear stories we have not heard before.  The time passes quickly and we feel sad as we hug her good-bye.  We hate to leave her alone and looking so vulnerable.

We all go through difficult times and it is important to share our burdens and feel the love and support of others.

A sunny day for my walk with Spenser!

4 comments:

Steady-as-rain said...

That is a great story mom.

The scan just confirmed that I have a relatively mild case of fatty liver. I should eat more fish and vegetables and lose some weight and exercise more.

Two more job interviews next week. One at a place called Barriere, about an hour from Kamloops. The other is in Williams Lake, for a job that is located at a place called Anahim Lake - quite isolated.

The cold/flu is finally receding and I am starting to feel better. More hours of sunlight might also be helping.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Thanks Rick,

Do you have to drive for your interviews?

I am thankful your cold or flu is improving.

That is the advice we all need to hear.

Keeping you in our prayers.

Love mom

Steady-as-rain said...

Yes, I have to drive for these two interviews. The drive on Monday is about an hour each way. The drive on Tuesday is about 3 hours each way. On Tuesday, I will have lunch with my friend Leigh who works in Williams Lake.

beth bennett said...

I am thankful you have a good car and have lots of riving experience.

Love mom