Wednesday, October 22, 2008

CHOICES

We all have the freedom to make choices; even if it is only how we choose to respond to what life does to us.

I made a life-changing choice many years ago to visit in the hospital and in the nursing home.

Some choices change your life forever.

I knew from personnel experience the loneliness of sickness.

When we were first married we moved to Vancouver away from family and friends. Larry had a difficult job training to be an air-traffic controller and he started taking the bus to find work. I found a job when suddenly I felt ill. The doctor told me I must have complete bed rest because I had a tubal pregnancy. This baby was not suppose to live and we both cried about this. The good news is he did and we are very proud of our son Rick.

I spent many lonely hours in our tiny apartment where the bed came out of the wall and Larry spend 10 hours a day travelling back and forth to work. He was under a lot of stress and worry not only about his job but also about me.

I would struggle for many years with fatigue and painful stomack problems before I was diagnosed with Celiac disease Doctors were very unhelpful and I felt a lot of guilt because I could not get better. But I did and I am healthy today.

I believe in the power of prayer and I made a choice to give my life to visiting the lonely in hospital and in the nursing home. I know that the presence of another person can ease the pain of loneliness and a kind touch and a smile mean so very much.

I took a course to be a lay-chaplain but like most jobs you learn by doing. I would read to people [this I had done for mom when she had her major stroke and could not talk or communicate. She would lift her hand to wave good bye and watch out the window as I left.]

I have got drinks of water for people who are bed-ridden, brought cookies and flowers. I share my life and they share theirs. I have learned a lot from visiting and I am reminded not to take life forgranted and be thankful for each moment for the love that surrounds me.

The love of God which shines upon us all helped me to have the energy and courage to face some difficult situations. Just walking in a room where people are sick you can feel negative energy draining all hope and life. I prayed before I visited and during my visits often silently but occassionally with a patient when they asked me to.

Everyone has a story and they need to fill their lives have meaning even when they are sick.

I believe that the compassion of Jesus listens with me and that he ministers to others through me especially when it is hard to know what to say. I have found in life that there are usually no easy answers but the presence of God supports us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth,

Thank you for the reply. I am please to hear that things are gradually getting better regarding the pain.It is good that you are doing the yoga and stretching exercises along with taking the med.Calcium and Vitamin C and D supplements can also be helpful (in making the bones stronger/less fragile) in this situation...maybe you are using these already.

What I think you may be referring to is osteoporosis.That is very common in post menopausal/elderly women and is mainly due to a deficiency in oestrogen .This results in thinning of the bones which becomes fragile, painful and prone to fractures.Please do your best to avoid falling in the future.Winter is nearby ..I know you go on your little walks ..so please do be extra careful with the slippery roads.

It's an honour to hear that you do think of me from time to time when you do look at that plaque on the wall..That's sweet of you.

You are an extra-ordinary person...I have to agree with Rick on that..he speaks very fondly and highly of you.That is wonderful of you to dedicate so much time and show so much compassion towards the sick in the hospital...I agree with you totally that giving a smile,a warm touch, a little word of encouragement and hope to an ailing person goes a long way in helping them feel good within themselves and makes them want to get better.I am constantly in the hospital environment and I know all that you are doing does make a huge difference in more ways than one but especially so to make a person heal faster.Medication alone does not do the trick.We are being taught this at medical school that emotions and state of mind determines health and healing and not just medication by itself. As such its a doctor's duty to express utmost empathy towards his/her patients at all times.I know not many of them practice this these days..which is sad.

You do seem to enjoy what you are doing ..Keep the good work up.

Regarding my exams..Yes it is alot of hard work..but I would not be happier doing anything else..I choose to do medicine ..so that I can help others in ways similar to what you are doing.Thanks for the wishes.

Take care of yourself and Larry.
Bye for now

Shaunett

beth bennett said...

Thanks again Shaunette
I think you will be a very good doctor.

I know I spelt words wrong yesterday but I was tired but wanted to write right away.

I hope your family are all well.

Take care love beth