Friday, October 31, 2008

HALLOWEEN MEMORIES.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A HAUNTED HOUSE?

The children on the street think so; and they do have a cat called spooky!

We have information from a reliable source, (starts with an R) that all male cats in the neighborhood are now making a very wide detour of the above house, since their friend made the fatefull mistake of entering said house.

My first memory is my brother bringing home a bag of candies and not wanting to share any with me. I was too young to go out door to door. In my memory he kept hiding it from me.

I also remember my dad bringing home some fireworks, one of which was the burning school house. It was very popular.

Then when I was old enough there was no candy because of the war and we went out and collected money. Was it for war refugees. We took our little boxes around door to door. I cannot remember if we dressed up.

The only costume I remembered was as a pirate, but other costumes were ghosts and cowboys. Some kids liked to play tricks like throwing eggs on houses and causing damage.

Like a lot of things it was not as much fun as I had imagined it to be when I finally got to go out for candy. My brother always ended up with more candy than I did.

Like a lot of lessons in life the secret is to be happy with what we have and not to take life for granted. Happiness cannot be planned and programed into our days but joy comes unexpected in the small moments when we feel content and when we laugh at our mistakes instead of feeling inadequate or guilty.

I went visiting yesterday at the Nursing Home and a dress up party was being planned. The activity workers always amaze me because they put so much effort into making these dear old people happy. To give to others a moment of happiness that helps them forget their pain and disability is a true gift.

We affect others as we search for meaning in our lives. We learn valuable lessons through suffering and disappointments and as we look back we see that we have overcome many difficult days; and always have so much to be thankful for.

Now, we have a big bowl of candy and we are looking forward to the little ones from the neighborhood knocking on our door.

No comments: