Friday, February 26, 2010

I BELIEVE

Jesus said "Become like a child". A child loves to ask questions. We love to teach them.
I believe that faith does not require us to leave our brains at the door to step into a spiritual reality. I do not believe asking some one to believe is asking them to be gullible. "In the end we need to combine a commitment to reason with an openness to trust" Douglas Todd -Van. Sun

Can we separate the ego that demands to be in control and demands answers to all of life's puzzling questions and find a place within us that can be open. It is a time to be honest about whether we want to believe. Believing in some one requires you to trust that person. The question that lies deep within our being is how will this belief change me and how can I trust the unknown.

I believe that all our actions have a significance beyond this present reality. This gives my life meaning and purpose. I believe in a power beyond earthly wisdom that flows within us and awakens the spirit to worship and to pray.

I believe that the first prayer is a simple "Dear God Show me that You exist?" Then wait. There is a time to be logical and a time to listen for His inner voice to speak to your heart.
I believe that the Bible speaks to us in ways that challenge us. We see the worst of our humanness and yet God brings good out of tragedy. Religion that is cut and dried; that leaves no room for doubt and questions, is a dead faith that is lived by rout and it does not include a living relationship in which we talk and listen and trust. This impacts our daily life moment by moment. The addict has to admit he or she is powerless to control their addiction and be willing to ask for help from a "higher power".

It all comes down to the simple fact we all need help with our unbelief.
There is a childlike spirit within us that loves to enjoy life, to have fun, and love to hug even when they are sticky or sad or tired.


I believe in the loving living presence that I call God who is closer than the air I breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Jane