Tuesday, February 9, 2010

THE PICTURE


Yes, I had a picture perfect day all planned out but it worked out better than I expected. A miserable headache prevented me from going visiting at the nursing home like I had planned.
Instead I was the one who was visited by the two Cathys, our nieghbor and our friend. Cathy came over to tell me Jeff has been released from hospital but now she becomes the care giver.
My How their lives have changed in the last year with an unexpected illness. Hopefully healing will restore a balance to all of our lives. Grama's need rest as well as young mothers!
I was reminded later in the day of a book writen by Henri Nouven called "The Prodigal Son." In this book he sits in front of the picture, meditating on Rembrant's painting. He is in actually fact drawn into the picture and sees himself as the progical, as the older brother and then finally as the father. Looking into the picture he sees not the powerful rigid figure of the father but sees for the first time the soft and tender hand placed on the prodigal's shoulder. Jesus, the obedient son, left his father to journey here with us to reveal to us the softness in the love of God. Jesus tells us he cares and he is with us.
I did work out in the garden for awhile thinking the fresh air would revive me and the signs of new life always come as a delightful surprise. Everyday we have a certain amount of things that we feel we have to do and to achieve; and yet the quiet moments are when we are aware that we are not alone and that sometimes plans are changed and life goes on.
The Olymic torch is now travelling through Surrey and North Delta and I am quite content to watch the enthusiastic crowds cheer it on. There have been plans made for these winter games that we have found distasteful but the excitment of the crowds brings joy to my heart.
Nothing is picture perfect but if we keep looking we see what we were meant to see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was very noisy celebrations last night at Holland Park, at least it wasnt very late. I wonder though with all the bands and stuff that is going to be there if I will need to sleep with my window closed for the next couple of weeks.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Get out and see the tourch it may be your only chance.
ken

Anonymous said...

It is just a torch, that is OK. It went by our house yesterday. I will go up to see the demonstration sports next weekend maybe, they are free and I can walk to there from my house.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

beatiful last sentense grandma. very poetic...very true to real life.

theresa