Wednesday, February 3, 2010

PRAYERFULLY

The light from the candle and the hands held securely are a picture of prayer. We come to the light that shines with love upon us, we do not need words as in some strange way we become more human. We see we need to hold each other's hands and offer what little faith we have to
the quiet unknown.
There are many things that prayer is and many things that prayer is not. For some it is a hollow repetition that seems meaningless when answers do not come or situations do not change. Prayer is not magic but in some mysterious way it is powerful. Prayer creates a channel of love to flow that may or not be received by the receiver. There have been studies to prove the power of prayer and now the atheists have studies that disprove prayer. Why do we think this is strange when one study tells us coffee is good and one study says it is bad. If we were to just go by these studies we would be unsure of anything and want to know the real truth.

I worry too much so prayer has brought me a sense of comfort and helped me to let go of some worries. God does not prevent bad things happening; nor does he provide for our needs. Prayer is one of the strong walking sticks that helps us walk up a steep hill or a long road. When I took the grand children for walks by our old house down the steep cliff they would look for good walking sticks for me. We had such fun walking down that cliff into the woods below where we felt we were in another world. Today parents have so much more to worry about and because of that teach there children to be cautious of strangers. I was taken as a young child to a police station when I was lost. All I remember was feeling afraid and lost and alone and then the police men who were so kind to me and gave to candies and set m on their desk.

I look at the situation in Haiti and see the faithful joining in prayer and praise and I see a faith that was worth dying for. Their lives would still be difficult and their sorrow and grief would still fill their hearts and souls Prayer would be begin the healing process. Coming together would bring some comfort and some escape from reality.
"When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubles. . . . Jesus wept 11:33, 35
Sometimes in life we need someone just to weep with us not to slove our problems but to share our grief until we can once again experience the goodness of life. No. I am not sad but I question why some people have to suffer so much and we are so helpless. Dad picked up a young woman thrown out of a car on a cold deserated prairie road and gave her a ride. He took her to safety but then he left her there. We do small things in life and hope that our prayers can somehow help others find safety. We are loveable no matter what we have done or has been done to us.
Prayer is not like a paint by number that gives you the perfect picture but a creative mix of faith and doubt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before I forget, the picture you put up was very nice, I like the flowers against the dark mirror. I will call you later to see if I will stop by on my way home from work or not.
Sandra