Saturday, February 27, 2010

INVOLMENT?

Marriage goes through many different stages. We find that there are some things we may never agree on. Things that we bring with us from our childhood, our values and our personalities. But if we are willing to listen and try to care and value the other person's opinions and beliefs. The key is to accept each other for who they are and have a genuine fondness and admiration for each other. We find ourselves becoming involved in different tasks as dad goes off to work and I am busy with the children.

My struggle right now is with how should I get involved in doing things outside the home. I need to be available to those to whom I feel called to minister to by visiting, by caring and sharing my faith.. I think maybe I was at times past too involved in the church and I am sensing a need to withdraw and rethink where to use my energy. I want to be available to help my children or grandchildren; although now it seems more like they are helping me. Love comes down to be willing to sacrifice and to serve one another. It is as we try to love each other that Jesus becomes present in our midst.
I hear about an old man at a Nursing Home unable to feed himself or take care of himself; and yet he comes alive when I hear his story. He had been an excellent bike rider winning a race from Nanaimo to Victoria in just 6 minutes; I think maybe it was 6 hours. He was asked to join the Olympic team but unfortunately the war changed all his plans. The Olympics were cancelled.
Suffering and disappointment are a part of life and yet I can try to spend time with those who sit alone for hour after hour. Everyone has a story to tell and as we get older we seem to relive some of our earlier memories. There have been people in my life that I call angels that have been there for me and helped me through disappointment and failure and I am so thankful for the people God has brought into my life.
I have to think first now before I rush in and say yes to things. I want to be involved but it will be doing what God gives me the strength to do. Happiness comes when we stop focusing inward and reach out not to be a problem solver but to be a listener.
It would probably help if I looked at the right month when I am planning. Also it is so easy to forget what day it is and when you say yes to something it seems way in the future but then all of a sudden it comes around. My prayer is that I will be available to those who God brings into my life. I want to keep learning and growing in my faith that has been my foundation and the reason that I have been involved in trying to be a channel of His grace. So wether it is saying a prayer, sharing a cup of tea or delivering a chicken or attending a Bible study this seems to be my life! This is what I have learned from others!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been an amaztng race six minutes from Nanaimo to Victoria! Jane

Anonymous said...

Even in 6 hours it would have been a good effort .
Ken