Sunday, February 28, 2010

PRIVACY

Panteli happily rests beside his handiwork that he and Ben worked on.
I object to the lack of privacy shown our figure skater, Joannie Rochette, as she broke down and sobbed after skating her heart out in memory of her mother who had just passed away days before. We were all very proud of her.

I object to the picture of the girls hockey team taken on the ice drinking beer after they had won the gold medal as a team that had worked long and hard to achieve their goal. They deserved to celebrate and enjoy their victory without some one crashing their party.

I object to the attitude of the Canadian Olympic Committee that says we cannot use the symbols of the five rings or the words Olympic or even a tiny flame to advertise. The five rings stand for passion, resiliency, unity, confidence and readiness. Things we often need to be reminded of.

Vancouver has put on a big expensive party and a lot of fun things and good things have happened as people have been apart of all the party atmosphere. Hopefully, there will be good things that will result for those who have been displaced because of these games. Can we put energy into finding homes for the homeless or better health care for the sick or equal education for our children.

Maybe I am too much like the older brother who was angry because the dad was putting on a party for his wasteful brother; who had gone off partying while he stayed home and worked.

Today I have a meeting before church to again look at what kind of church we are and what kind of person we want as a minister to be our leader. Then I will be going to a baby-shower for Ava's new baby boy Yuri and although I enjoy these celebrations like last night's celebration of Lee and Dave's anniversary I was happiest having a simple lunch with Chris.
I was really touched at church this morning as some one sat beside me and said:
"I feel safe when I am beside you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at all that I miss by not watching the olypic coverage. Did someone say bad things about the girls drinking beer and the one crying or you just fealt like you were spying on them? All in all I think it has been a pretty good party, I will be glad to be able to go to sleep with the window open again with just the sound of the sirens.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Right on Mom - down with the over-commercialization of the Olympics!

I was in Vancouver when they had the referendum and I voted "yes". But now, if I had to do it again (and even with the nice gold medal in men's and women's hocky), I would vote no, for the reasons you suggest.

Love,


Rick