Thursday, December 6, 2018

THE PAST

Yes, on Wed. we visited the past of Colebrook Church by telling stories of our past experiences.
What drew us in the first place and why have so many families stayed once
 they arrived.

We went there because this church was just up the road from our new home.  We found new friends and a deeper faith as we attended services and study groups and working together on projects.  I remember the first day I went I met Jane and we became best friends.  She had many friends but she drew me into her circle of friends.  Dad would later become involved with the outreach group she chaired.  A great little group of like-minded people who wanted to express their faith in action.

One of the first fund raising group I attended was making Christmas puddings to sell.  We had a cannier and these puddings were a most wanted items for Christmas dinners.

I remember when our family, used the whole pew.  Rick was even involved with  a small youth group with Jack Hooper.  He was a character with long hair and new ideas.

We had a great variety of leaders, some controversial.  There were many meetings about whether wine should be served at church weddings.  Back in the day our church was a popular place for weddings.  Carol and Ron were not able to have their wedding there because of a new policy the minister had put forth that required several information meetings.  They ended up being married in a Pentecostal church by a son of a minister we knew.

This was a big disappointment .

I have tried to love others unconditionally but have not always succeeded,

Our church is one of the warmer and more beautiful in our area.  Many have been drawn to the welcome they have received there.

Today I was up very early to have a brisk walk in the frosty air before settling down to write Christmas cards.  Then I walked over to mail them.  The most important ones to the great grand children have been sent.

Dad and I made plans with Carol but both of us had sick tummies.  The best place was just to stay home.

My faith has been built on scripture that flows out of the past when a tiny baby was born in a manger.

The world then as it is now was in great darkness and despair and Jesus came to teach that each one of us is important and worthy of God's love and blessings.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Who were you telling the stories with? I have sent one Christmas card, to Randy's Aunt Helen in Alberta.
It is that time of year for me now that I will be busy right up till the end of February. I will just plod along and stay focused.

Steady-as-rain said...

Yes, I remember Mr. Hooper. A very nice man.

Carol said something about staying in Chilliwack on Dec 25th.

I'm back from Saskatoon. A quick trip, but very tiring. I stayed at a hotel right near the airport where the meeting was, so doesn't even feel like I saw anything at all except airport's and the hotel room.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Rick we will talk to you later on Sat'.
before Heartbeat.

Hope you get rested.

Sandra you are busy buying presents which I am not.

You do an amazing job at your work I think.

Love mom