Friday, September 23, 2011

SPIRITUAL ENERGY

This is the first day of fall and the leaves are really starting to cover the ground.  I woke up to a lovely fresh cool breeze blowing in our window and felt good.  I hope it is not raining on our walk today but we will be going anyway.  I cannot find my rain pants which is very annoying.

The message I gave at the church was basically about finding spiritual energy to overcome stress and worry in our lives.  Some people with very difficult childhoods carry within them hidden stress.  This I have been reading about in the book "When the Body Says No"  by Gabor Mate, M.D.

Children evidently absorb the stress of their parents without being aware of this.

In childhood I learned how to cope with life by trying to be a "good" little girl.  My dad was very strict and I am sensitive to harshness in voices even today.  Intellectually I can see how I need to change and be transformed but learning to live out new beliefs takes practice. 

What do I value in life?  Having a pure heart and a loving spirit are not something we are born with, or if we are life has the power to destroy this, but I need to find ways to bring back what was taken from me.  Some things come naturally in life but others have to be attained and worked for.  This is a goal.

For me the powerful stories and words of scripture  have always spoken to me.  There is healing for the spiritually broken as I learn to return to words of hope and healing.  Psalm 91 says "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High God shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 

There is a spiritual place that calls to me to rest and trust in the Love that has been provided for me from the beginning of creation.  Words of wisdom spoken and written ages ago still have the power and energy to help me accept my limitations but trusting in prayer find new strength.

Early in scripture it says God will provide and at times when life gives us more than we can feel we can bear it is good to remember that not only is there spiritual energy in scripture but in the love of family and friends.  Certain things are beyond our control and if we are not willing to make an effort to use what we have and reach out to others in need we can find the place where we are stuck painful.

I am happy to be apart of a faith community where the love of God is expressed in words and in action.
The older I become the more aware I become of the need to feel loved in spite of not being able to do what I used to be able to do. 

The seasons change and I miss the sunny warm mornings but I find joy in feeling the rain on my face and the breeze blowing in my window.  Many in this world are facing difficult challenges and I pray that they will find strength in faith to help them through,

"Love bears all things,  believes all things,
hopes all things,  endures all things"

No comments: