Saturday, September 24, 2011

STRESS

Stress can be both good and bad.

I am looking forward to having Morgan and Ben come to stay and spend time with us.

I liked being asked.

I do not like the feeling that others feel that it is too much for me.  I appreciate the concern that Theresa has in asking me and the concerns of dad and Sandra that my energy is not the greatest.  I am glad both of them will be helping and I realize it is important for me to understand the problems. 

I wish I had read this book on stress many years ago and it may have been able to help me understand myself better and also recognize what my own emotional needs are.  I have known that we are often attracted to people who are opposite to ourselves.  Dad had a great sense of adventure and liked taking risks while I like to feel safe and close to those around me.

My mom was a wonderful woman who was very strong in her own way and also very kind and loving.  She instilled in me the fear that you cannot trust a person that has been drinking because of the unhappiness her sister experienced with her husband's drinking.

My Aunt Edith was always very cheerful and I enjoyed her sense of humor and great spirit.

We  learn to cope with difficult circumstances and it is important that we learn to realize that the greatest source of stress in our lives is adjusting to others; while remaining true to your own sense of worth and uniqueness.

We are born into this world of stress with our imperfect parents that are learning to cope with life themselves.  Thus begins our journey to find our own happiness.  Looking back I can see the stages talked about, the need for acceptance, the awareness of my personality, the freedom to express emotions of anger and sadness that help me become automatous.  Finding healthy attachments where I can be assertive and affirmed.

Hopefully I can keep a sense of humor. 

Today I will be visiting a very old friend who is in the last stages of her life and I am aware that this could be my last visit with her.  I think that I have a gift when it comes to visiting the sick and although this too can be draining I find joy in being able to comfort others.

I think I will be happy if no one reads this but I am still processing life and hopefully learning.

I find strength in the spiritual practice of prayer and silence and scripture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben and Morgan will bring some good energy your way, I'm sure. Carol and I will check with you guy slater and maybe see about a quick Skype session after dinner (your time) later tonight.

Panteli