Thursday, September 22, 2011

THE UNKNOWN

I am in a place where I am finding it hard to write.

I thoroughly enjoyed our drive through the mountains which gave me a carefree feeling of enjoying the beauty and feeling free of everyday stress. Today I will be back walking in the rain which I actually do not mind. 

It seemed we had barely caught our breath on arriving home when we were asked to host our study group.  This meant cleaning the house which had been gathering dust and dirty all summer.  It meant moving furniture so that the 11 of us could see the D.V.D. on Buddhism.  I had certain impressions about this religion, which they say is not a religion, although they have monks and rituals and teachings.
Buddha was a great spiritual man who I understand had faith in human nature being transformed from power seeking to one of peace and inner happiness.

There is wisdom in his teachings but also many strange stories that are suppose to help us see into his life and teachings.  Buddha sat under a tree, as we all know, after seeing human suffering and deciding to leave his rich easy life as a prince behind.  He would eventually choose a middle path that did not require him to give up all the comforts of life.  This path required freedom from possessions and from power and yet one was to desire to become like Buddha and thus reach this state of happiness.  This would I understand if one attain this high achievement free you from the unknown of coming back into another life to complete your spiritual growth,

Yesterday, I was asked to give a little devotional talk at our U.C.W. meeting and I found reading and writing about scripture that gives me the courage and hope for this life more meaningful.  I also included  some inspirational  stories from the life of a very handicapped man born with no arms and no legs.  He struggled with why God had let this happen but as he was able to find purpose and meaning in his life he has used that to inspire many others to find meaning in difficult circumstances.

Yes, life can be interesting and fulfilling especially when we come together with old friends and share laughter even when we are feeling the aches and tiredness of getting older. 

I woke up feeling no inspiration,  my mind empty, legs aching, feeling that writing was an effort I that  had to talk myself into doing.  I will start back doing my visiting today which like most things you stop doing, it is hard to start again. 

Yes there will be other brave souls enjoying the rain and the fresh air.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least it is very warm in the rain today. Why is budism not a religion? Sounds like a religion.
Sandra

beth bennett said...

Because they do not want to be called a religion and have no belief in God

Yes it is very warm and very wet,

love mom

Shandel said...

they have beliefs in a many a "gods" though. i learned a tid bit on this when i was in Nepal. it is all very interesting, and like religion not for everyone.
It was very over cast here today as well. i thought we were going to get a storm. sun is trying to shine through