Tuesday, November 17, 2009

THE CONTENTED GENERATION

We are like two old Teddy Bears contented just to stay home warm and dry.
Still enjoy morning walks even in the rain. Always looking for colour!

Happiness is having visits with our children and grandchildren and reading to the great-granchildren and playing with them. I hate having to confess I did eat a piece of real cake but I have promised to stay strictly on my glutin-free diet. I do not feel much like cooking or baking so I could start making more of an effort.
"Happy Days" what a great T.V. show. Looking back I think we were the contented and happy generation. I had no burning desire to change the world; but then we did not have T.V. news showing us all the horrors, we did not hear about a lot of crime and once the war was over life was full of promise.
Our parents had lived through the reality of war and a time of scarity and fear. The depression had made them very careful about money, and with a great need for order and tidiness in their lives. Hygiene was also very important and at school teachers checked to see how clean your finger nails and hands were. It was also a time when parents had a sacrifical attitude toward their own emotional needs. I would imagine that families had many secrets that were never talked about.
For me it was a time of contentment.
Along came the next generation fueled with a burning desire to change the world and to express all their angst and anger and frustration. They rebelled against authority and wanted freedom to do drugs and dress differently and to create loud discordanant music. A lot of this was hard for me to understand and hard for me to cope with. Changes started to happen so fast and I was not prepared. I had led a sheltered life and I had been content.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am here! But, have to get to work before the power goes out, still pretty windy here. I must have slipped through the cracks somewhere, as I never wanted to change the world. And staying warm and dry, and a nice bit of cake, sounds like pretty good idea.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Who says the music was discordant? HA HA ..Matthew fell asleep on
the way home from the swings .Hobey is studying hard for his final exams. Tyler is delivering pizza . Brittany is working hard as a bar manager .
Ken

Anonymous said...

Warm and dry is good.

Contented is goood.


Love,

Rick