Saturday, November 21, 2009

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Ships need lighthouses to keep them clear of the rocks and I need Jesus to help me find my way!
The question that many churches are facing is what can we do to build the church into a dramantic and alive place where people are drawn to enrich their lives. I think people want to learn to be good parents, to build strong relationships, to be healthy, to have support in times of crisis, to enjoy life that is not so stressful but is meaningful.

Churches have many different names and many different values. People who come to church have strong opinions and often differ about what is important. Some people love to be active in putting on suppers and baking and doing crafts; so these people like to be busy. They are always ready to do a job if asked. Many of the older people cannot come any more but are wanting visiting. This is a very worthwhile and meaningful thing to do.

I did my visiting on Thursday over to the Nursing Home but it was a bit of a disaster. First lady was waiting to be put to bed so I said I would come back, but first she asked me to water her plants. I did and she said I did not water them enough so I gave them more and of course the water ran all down the window sill I was busy moping up the window and the floor. I left her a small Christmas cactus and she was happy about that. She rang the buzzer for the nurse and I left and said I would come back. It would take a good 20 or 30 minutes for her to get settled. When I returned an hour later she was fast asleep. Another lady as I knocked and poked my head in the door was in the process of changing and was embarrassed. I was feeling shaken myself by this time. Usually there are people walking about or sitting that I visit with but it was very quiet. I did have one good visit where I chatted away knowing after I left she would probably forget I had even come. I left in the pouring rain and stop in to see a church friend.

I suppose one likes to feel that the effort they made was of some value but I know that I cannot put my ideas of what is valuable when I go visiting, but trust that even a short visit touches their hearts with the knowledge that some one cares.

What can our churches offer the busy stressed young people? In the Observer the United Church paper one sociology PhD professor states, " No matter what the church does, you are not going to entice them." It seems young people do not feel the need to come to church, where they may feel uncomfortable; nor do they feel the need to teach their children about God.

I am sure I could have done a better job and I wonder if we had not discussed religion at all if it would have been better than arguing about it's faults and it's merits. I have always felt drawn to the church and Sunday is an important day that feeds my soul in a way that there are no words to describe.

People are more open to the word spirituality than religion. I believe that religion has the power to open the spirit and to open the heart if we follow Jesus in serving and loving others.
We need young people to help us see ways in which religion has abused and damaged lives. Are we too pious? Are the words and ideas we spout outdated? Can we have a church without a minister? The young people have just won a landslide victory in the vote taken at the Surrey Sikh Temple. It is the second victory for the youth slate, who won last year, only to see their victory disputed in court. Their has been bitter controversy and I am delighted that the younger members are willing to fight for their right to bring changes that fit more with the modern times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the call , Matthew is still not good , he won't eat or drink . We go back to the dr tomorrow evening .