Wednesday, November 11, 2009

LEST WE FORGET

Lying for the truth, as we believe it to be, to prevail, fogs our minds so that it seems right and even honorable. The tension of life will always be about struggle and death. We fight for freedom yet we can be blind to the darkness in our own hearts!

It is part of war!



"Man is weak and overwhelmed by his unending workload. What is the stragedy to end the raging war of the evil inclination, and the secret to stop the spirit of desire that roars unendingly like a churning sea?

Man's only hope is to fortify himself with the reverence of God. This reverence is an impregnable fortress that can deliver him from every enemy and attack. It is mighty enough to bind his desires and prevent the evil intentions of his heart from bursting into destructive behavior" Rabbi Yitzhak Blazer - The Gates of Light.

I hate myself when I get angry but deep hurt and frustration brings out the worst in us. Most of us hate war and the destruction and deaths that it causes. Yet, we all would fight to protect our families and our homes.

As young men both my dad and Larry's dad wanted to go and defend their country. Larry's dad had two brothers would marched off to war like heros and he was devasted because he was not accepted. His brothers both died and around the same time his dad passed away.

My dad, was a honest and studious young man with a desire to be an artist and whose own father was a pacifist. He was the only son in the family of four sisters. He lied about his age to join the forces. I wonder now did a group of them go together to sign up? Certainly all of England was outraged at the thought of being overtaken by the Germans.

Was his father furious at his son leaving home maybe to die in a foreign country? His dad and he had a difficult relationship which this could have fueled.
Was his mother in anguish and broken hearted?
My dad served for two and one-half years and went to France, Belgin and Germany and won a badge of cross-rifes for his ability to fire and aim his gun. My brother believes he was at the battle of Yeyes but we do not know for sure; amd he mau not have been in the thick of battle if he was. I never talked to my dad about the war and I wish I had asked some questions.

After the war he stayed in Germany to attend the Univercity of Colonge and be a part of the occupation force. He may have gone home but because his father had different plans for him he left home afgain to travel to South America and the States and even up to Vancouver. He eventually ended up in Winnipeg were his Aunt Susie was delighted to have her live with them and he started working on the railway. He was moved to Kindersley where he meant and married my mom. He was dearly missed especially by his sisters who had spoilt him dearly when he was growing up. He never would return to live at home.

We are thankful for all the brave young men who fought with courage; in dreadful conditions, to preserve our freedom from the cruelty of evil and oppression. We are so blessed to live in a country where there is freedom. We pray for peace and for our young people to be brought home from Afganistan where I think they have no right to be. I am sure they are doing some good but killing stirs up killing in return. Hatred grows against those who are armed with guns and tanks and destroying their families and their pride.

No, I do not blame Religion. although Religion has been used as a tool to stir up violence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that your grandfather Bowron was a pacificist. How do you know that?

I remember somebody telling me a story about how Granpa Bowron (that is, your father mom) was unsuccesful in his first attempt to sign-up. The recruiting sargeant knew his father, I think is how the story went. He had to come back a few days later, or maybe went to a different service (maybe he had tried for the navy first??). I'm sure who told me this story.

I remember Dad saying that his dad wanted to be a tail-gunner on the big bombers -- a very dangerous job! Apparently, Grandpa Bennett (Dad's dad) thought he could shoot down the enemy fighters before they would get him. He never got a chance to find out, I suppose, but it is nice to have that sense of confidence!

No, I don't blame religion for wars -- war was probably around before religion. Religious hierachies are frauds, but we don't need to blame them for war on top of that.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

My brother Brian told me that my grandfather Bowron was a pacifist.
I also know he was a travelling preacher and very very strict. He did not approve of any of the men that came courting except the onw girl was married and had Ridley or Bill as he is now known. I believe they had the son named Richard about the same time as you were born. I must admitt I have not been all that interested but I think it may be something for you children to know! love mom

Anonymous said...

That time in history feels very far away from where we are today but it really wasnt that long ago really at all. I like to hear stories like that grandma. Stories, information and conversations are pieces of your history that will become part of my(our) history and in turn a part of this family's history. Thanks for sharing.

-Theresa