Sunday, November 22, 2009

WAR OF WORDS

Francis of Assi, a man of courage and strength and deep commitment, is one of my hero's. He was a lover of nature and animals and people. He turned from a world of wealth and a beautiful girlfriend to live simply and I believe walk the walk of Jesus.


Why do people use the same old arguments to put down religion. After all are they not superior and have no need of the spiritual nor do they admit the emptiness that comes from a meaningless existence.

I do not blame all wars on religion; which dissolves ownership of the unresolved anger in the human heart. Were the 1st or second world wars because of religion. No no no it was for freedom from oppression. Two children fighting in the school yard why are they fighting. Not for religion no no no. I would think it was angry words spoken and there was a need to defend what was said. What about the two hockey players, who look so so absolutely stupid fighting. Are they fighting for religion. No I think not. One wants to be superior over the other and prove how strong they are. Wars are fought for many reasons for honor, for country, for freedom, for control and power; they are fought for greed and for material gain. I have been fighting against this lie all my life.

I feel passionate as a believer that we are all searching for the truth. I believe in the power to protest against injustice which I believe is a biblical value. We live in an age where our young people are involved in a war in a far country [why is there always money for war and tanks and bombs] we live in a time when our economy is being shaken and our faith in politics is non existence. I have writ en two letters to the Prime Minister which he will not read but maybe there will be a note somewhere to let him be aware of what I think is worth fighting for and against. I hate the fact that our soldiers are killing Innocent children and damaging their homes and taking away security. I am violently opposed to young people being brought into our country to be prostitutes during the time of the Olympics or any other time. Why does our country protect criminals? Especially those from other cultures who come hear and from gangs and fight and kill. Send them back. I welcome victims of abuse and those who are seeking political security for standing up to the injustice in their country.

Yes, religion has been used as a reason to war against other cultures and countries. Until every voice can be heard and we seek to understand not to only be understood; to respect the opinions and values of all faiths and cultures, to really desire peace and believe it can be achieved peacefully we are lost and hopeless.

I write as a Christian believer who has not joined any church but have had many unique church experiences. Part of me is grounded in the United Church and I am proud of the things they are doing for the poor and those who have no voice; for their willingness to speak out against violence and injustice, but my soul needs the freedom to worship with more passionate. I have gained what I can only describe as my soul bursting open in the laying on of hands and prophetic words being spoken into my life. I would have never believed I had a gift of writing until some one in a time of prayer spoke to my heart's desire.

I believe in seeing the good religion has done and will continue to do; even though I know religion is a bad word. I believe in the power of prayer and the joy of worship! !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The point is not whether religion is a good or bad thing in its effects in causing or not causing war, and in teaching, helping, and so on -- it is a human invention and has the usual mixed bag of results for any social creation. And, as I have mentioned before, religions - like any other social institution - operate primarily for the benefit (financial and otherwise) of those that lead them.

The question with religions is whether they get anybody closer to God or not. And they don't, in my view. Although each religion is built on one or a few more-or-less valid insights into God, they can never sustain that insight because if they did, they would collapse as social entities. So any religion that actually was oriented towards god and not towards social control - think control of land, dietary restrictions, laws against apostasy, and all sorts of religious laws and tricks and doctrine (that were used against Jesus) -- would gracefully fade away. The success of religions - thinking lately of Islam - is a function of its distance from God, not its insight into God. This is one of the profound paradoxes of the human universe: the more succesful a religion the more it is concerned with material things and not with God. It must be.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a lot of passion in todays blog mom. I have not watched much news while away but it sounds like lots of negative things are being talked about?
Sandra