Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CHASING SPIDERS


I've been doing a little extra cleaning and finding little spiders hiding in the corners. Who can blame them for coming in to get warm. I am also finding spider webs up high that all of sudden appear. My little uninvited guests are making themselves at home. The creepy thing is when you walk into a spider web unaware and all of sudden you are caught in the net.

Spider webs can be something you walk into or in everyday life we can be caught in a web of deceit. Nothing is quite what it may appear to be. Good and evil are not always a clear choice. We make many choices, some not so wise, but we are not carriers of original sin. This has been told to us by preachers of salvation who want us to receive Jesus as our savior. Jesus comes to us as our savior to reveal to us in God's eyes we are created to be a blessing.
I have trouble reading the old testament and even some of the words of Jesus. I certainly see that good people have their faults and weaknesses and we can mess up each others lives with unkindness in words or deeds. Forgiveness helps us to heal and we can be a healing presence in the lives we touch daily.
Even in homes where there is a Bible it often just sits on the shelf. I am glad that I go to Bible Study groups that makes me keep reading scripture. I think most people no the story of Adam and Eve where Eve seems to take the blame. "Eve was framed" the bumper sticker declares.
"We are born inescapably good, as part of a good creation, and yet we lose our way by making bad choices. -Saving Jesus from the Church byRobin Myers.
"When I understood literally, I was slain spiritually." St. Augustine.
"A myth is about a truth so large, so important and mysterious that it cannot be contained by mere facts." Joseph Campbell
"A myth he says is the secret opening through which the inexhaustible energies of the dosmos pour into human manifestation. Myths are not tobe taken literally. When they are, not only is the power of myth and metaphor weakened, bad theology can be the result."
In our D.V.D. last night a raving mad dog bites a man and all the men in the small town go out to search for it. In the searching they come upon a very sick boy who has collapsed out on the moors. Talking to my brother Brian last night he told me of a distraught woman who came to their house to share her sad story; while she was there she saw my card on the mantle and asked if she could look at it. She was very touched by the card I had sent for my brother on his birthday. We never know how something we do or say or send can touch some one else.
In life one thing can lead to another. "Scripture is meant to convey reverence and spark a conversation with God not to be a straitjacket" [of doctrine that keeps us tied to the past.]
Yesterday I was terribly nauseated and felt discouraged and miserable; but today I am good!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is 7am, how can you know you are good today? I have not run into any spider webs my self lately, but then I have not been doing much cleaning either.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Usually it starts in the night. love mom

Anonymous said...

So you want me to smuggle over some Aussie spiders?

ken

Anonymous said...

No thank you. Your spiders are big and mean. love mom

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree, not a straight-jacket. But all the priests, popes, bishops, monks, imans, rabbis, and so on can't resist the impulse to turn the dialouge with God into a straight-jacket.

I have had bugs getting into my house ... sort of funny fat beetles that seem to be about to die anyway. Don't think you saw any while you were here.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

mmmmm on closer inspection your spider looks a wee bit woolie ??
Ken

beth bennett said...

FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION LITTLE BLACK BUGS I THINK I BROUGHT ONE HOME IN MY SUITCASE. HE JUST WAS THERE WHEN I UNPACKED BUT MAYBE HE WAS HERE ALL THE TIME.
LOVE MOM