Tuesday, October 27, 2009

MY GRANDFATHER'S BLESSINGS

This is a favorite book along with When God Weeps and Why Faith Matters.
A LOT OF THINGS CAN PREVENT US FROM SEEING.

OUR DRIVE TO RICK'S HOUSE WAS RAINY AND MISTY BUT STILL WE COULD GLIMPSE THE BEAUTY OF NATURE.


WE COULD NEVER HAVE FOUND THIS HOUSE IN THE DARK AND WE NEEDED RICK'S LIGHTS TO GUIDE US.


One of my favorite book's is "My Grandfather's Blessings." Her grandfather lived and believed surrounded by his unbelieving very smart and scientific children who became involved in the healing profession as doctor's and nurses. The author herself becomes a doctor and yet her greatest gift is writing about her faith that came from the influence of her randparent.



I have woke up with a headacke and dreading this day of fasting and purging. I try to convince myself that it is necessary; but I am not convinced, and I try to believe that it is good for me. I have just spent time in prayer for the many people on my prayer list going through very difficult times. Serious illness, suffering and pain, depression and devoirce and the list goes on.

Where is God in this world of pain and suffering?
Why do we kill and would one another in His name?
Why have we corrupted the message of Jesus which is compassion for your enemy not death to the unbeliever?

I have done serious wrong many times; but God had nothing to do with it.

We live in a painfilled, unjust cruel world where anger and violence are the weapons people use to fight what is called evil. We are brain-washed. The church has abused and destroyed the goodness that people were desparate to believe in. Doubt comes to torment us in our dreams.

Yet, I believe that without faith, faith in a God who weeps for us all, existence is meaningless.
The past haunts us until we forgive and we try to allow the pesence of God to heal the soul that has been destroyed and wounded. Maybe this is still using God for our self-interest and in the end all we can do is do our best and confess our ignorance and stupidity.

None of us knows and yet we can at least face our own weakness and the enemy of our souls that tempts us to destroy what is good and beautiful.

I never knew my grandfathers or grandmothers but my mom's mom was apart of my early years until I was about three. I have found such joy in being a grandparent and yet there has also come a lot of worries. Morgan cried when Carol left her on Sunday and said "But now I will have no grandmothers to play with me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Matthew misses a grandfatherly influence
in his life.
Why are you fasting and purging?
Melina goes to the doctor today and may
get the date of the ceasarian.
Ken

Anonymous said...

Wow Kenny that is good news. Let us know. I had to have another colonosophy because of the lost weight and I need to take laxatives which is a real change for me.

I got a good report and everything went well; so no worries mate. I wanted to cancell because I felt it was not necessary but dad said my doctor would be annoyed if I did.

I am feeling good but today has really tired me out. I woke up 3 times feeling pain and I had the hick-ups; maybe that was what woke me up.

Dad got me a new nightie and new slippers so I could come home and snuggle into bed. I had a little glutin-free scone and coffee as I was not really hungry but I sure was in the morning. I quess it is important to get things checked as we get older.

Maybe I could find a pumpkin pie misx and send it in the mail.

Love mom