Tuesday, July 27, 2010

CHANGING


I love to look at the sky in the evening and especially seeing the changes in the moon. It is funny but I often feel like it is winking at me wanting to share some joke that is just between us two. But as the moon gets fuller I am reminded of how much the image of light and dark has penetrated our thinking and our experiences of life. There is a time to laugh and enjoy and have fun that is an important part of our lives. I have tended to be more serious and task orientated. Now, I want to enjoy laughter and being a little crazy, just a little. Yes, the moon winks at me and the flowers talk to me and I see God working in my life in mysterious ways, through my experiences, my family, my friends, and even through my dreams.

Years ago I would have said I was at peace with my religion but I find that you need to keep growing and learning. I was reading in my new birthday book, thanks Jane, about how the ancients did not revere the book-the written word as we do. "Rather, they saw in the written word a sort of imprisonment of the spirit, of oral teachings. Indeed to write a message down transforms it; and it no longer dwells in the space between the speaker and the listener. The message becomes "heavier", acquires a body of ink and paper (or clay in ancient times) and its suppose to live longer than the person who wrote it."

I know I cannot believe everything I read so I have to choose the words and thoughts that bring light into my life. I value the gift of imagination and seeing the world through the eyes of a child. I showed Morgan, my little birthday angel,that changes color and she said baby Jesus would like that. We were sitting under the table at that time. I was amazed because our family is not what you would call religious but the children are learning songs in school about Jesus, God and Love.

Many wise teachers have written beautifully and many have not left any written word at all. Our human nature longs for a love of life that can awaken the magic and the mystical that surrounds us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is why us human being are compelled to create art, because unlike the written word that in a way forces us to take it "literally" picutures and music, and even gardens leave more to the imaginations, and we can see god the way we want, with out the restrictions of the words.
Sandra