Sunday, July 11, 2010

SO YOUNG


A birthday party in a park amongst the trees with swings and even tennis courts. I wonder to myself as I arrive; and see a very happy and excited Morgan giving little gifts to those who are leaving, was I ever that young? They are all happy blowing their whistles and running this way and that. No one wants to leave. I was sorry we had got there so late but the day before I did not think I would have the energy to go; so changing plans through dad off although he should be use to it. The drive did seem long for both of us and dad does not enjoy freeway driving but neither do I.

Was I ever that young and confident? Was I ever carefree? I think I was more serious. My parties were simple and finding the nickle in the cake was the big surprise.

It was good to visit with Mikie's family as we now have got to know them over the many celebrations we have shared. Theresa did a wonderful job and everyone looked happy and relaxed. We sat around in the shade while the children played. Dad did a little tennis and we were amazed at how good Ben has become at playing tennis. Dad cannot play like he used to and this among many other aches and pains has us both feeling old.

Theresa the photographer had turned into mom, THE PARTY PLANNER, and forgot her camera.

Today we had planned to go to church and then downtown to join Lois and her brother Murray and family in remembering Madie Dunlop. He has a penthouse apartment high in the sky in the West End. We have not seen Murray in ages nor have we seen Madie's grandchildren. I will do my best to be friendly but am already feeling fatigue so church will be skipped. The good news is that my cough is better and I am thankful for that. Also the day is cooler so that is good too.

Exodus, the book in the Bible that tells us the story of Moses being chosen as a little baby to be the one who leads his people out of painful slavery into liberation. Does this story remind us that injustice must be fought and conquered.
We are too often passive about a lot of things.

It is difficult for me to look at scripture with a more open mind accepting the writers as human as they struggled with what to believe about who they were called to be and about who God was.

No comments: