Friday, July 30, 2010

EARTH, WATER, FIRE, AND AIR.



The earth as seen in the water-shed park!

"The ancients believed that all things-visible and invisible-were composed of four different substances, uncreated and imperishable; Earth, Water, Air and Fire. It's important to stress that these elements were not simply considered in their material form-they were in fact considered symbolically. The attributes of each element then corresponded to a specific spiritual, mental or physical dimension."
Paulo Coelho writes in Inspirations.

I have more to add to his thoughts but I am off to become radio active for a a picture of the tissues of my lungs. I am not certain of the procedure so I am a little nervous. I am now back and after breathing some stuff into my lungs with a nose plug on [reminds me when we use to wear them swimming] and being injected with dye for pictures I am happy to be home. The tecknicians was extremely confident that all looked good and if there was any problem I would be phoned later in the day. Basically they were looking for blood clots.

But I think the more we know about ourselves, our bodies, our thoughts, our personality, our weaknesses and our stengths it can only be for our good.

I am so thankful to be able to breath normally and the fresh air is wonderful.
I did not sleep well last night worried about going into that machine but I am getting good at it. Evidently I did well.

Back to the Ancients for whom the mateial was symbolic of a more complex reality.
God was the one who stirred the wind to blow gently upon us; or to cause great thunder storms that shook the earth and caused fear in the unknown. How could then make this God of thunder and lightning happy? They saw the rain as bring life to the earth and producing, actually birthing, new creations. Out of the mist the rainbow would appear and powerful story telling began.

Religion first began in the belief in "spirit". Spirit that was alive in nature as well as in animals and human beings. There was a "good spirit" and a "bad spirit".
The story of the Garden of Eden tells of the awareness of the good and evil that came as they became self-conscious and felt their was a difference between them and the complete goodness that love produced spiritually.

I am tired so I will quit. Comments are welcomed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And when all is said and done you will know a lot more about your body then the rest of us! Hopefully we will catch up for lunch today.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Good news that all went well .
Ken

Anonymous said...

Our native peoples spirituality emphasizes our closeness to nature and the basic elements. l had planned to give you Chief Dan George's book"My Heart Soars" but unfortunately it was out of print.l think it is a beautiful book . Jane

Merry Sunshine said...

Just a quick note for Jane....you can buy out of print books at a wonderful website called
alibris.com
I have ordered from them many times and am presently awaiting an order of three art books. They are very reasonable.