Thursday, July 8, 2010

STILLNESS


We arrive at the hospital to be told at the desk that our dear old friend Madie Dunlop has slipped from this life to the next. We meet her daughter Lois and the grandchildren as they arrive to say good-bye. As I sit in our T.V. room in the stillness of the morning with only the soft bubbling of the water fall I think of birth and death. Today is Rick's birthday and the time has gone so fast since the warm day in July he arrived. What a happy and exciting day that was as my parents arrived by train just that morning.

Life is full of so many complex feelings that give it meaning and depth.

The morning stillness does not last as the garbage trucks start roaring past and the young boys jump on and off so hot and sweaty all ready. I am so thankful that they pick up our junk and take it away. Yesterday, I spent the day moving things back and forth and wonder to myself why do we have so much stuff that needs to have space.
I start going through my books only to start reading and finding it hard to let go of any of them. Today I will. Maybe.

2 comments:

larry bennett said...

Yes as I remember it was a beautiful warm day. After taking you to the hospital I went to pick up your Mom and Dad at the train station on Main street in Vancouver. When we arrived back at the hospital I believe Rick had arrived - at least that is how I remember the day that was and still is a blur.
larry
ps- you were such a lovely new Mother!!

Anonymous said...

Sad news about Mrs Dunlop . Finnally home , we had to travel via Sydney , Hobey then flew from Sydney to Brisbane , i flew down to Melbourne .Our bags we left behind in LA . we should get them today.Thanks for having us , enjhoy the nice weather .
KEN