Friday, December 17, 2010

ANYWAY

It was such a beautiful sunny day yesterday.  Dad went for his first bike ride in ages and got very winded.
We had a excellent turkey dinner at Sandra and Randy's and I even sat in a heated chair.  Dad had picked up the perfect pie for desert made with real flour from Applewood bakery!   Rubarb and strawberry one of ken's favorites.

Speaking about food the dear old gentleman at the Nursing Home has been complaining and complaining about the strange food and how hungry he is.  So being a tender-hearted soul  I make some delicious sandwiches pack them with a nice napkin, add a little cheese and a cookie I set off happy as a lark.  This is the part if you were at the Stuart McLean show the audience would groan knowing something bad is about to happen.  And it did.  He yells at me to take it away I get lots of food here I do not want yours.  Gracious he is not but I should have and almost did expect this re-action but it still hurt.  Grumpy me was very angry and inside I think to myself well I sure do not need to visit this miserable, ungrateful piece of humanity!

I had made an effort to feeling tired and with lots to be done at home.

Then I pick up my book from the library "Anyway".

"Yes the world is crazy.  If it doesn't make sense to you, you're right.  It really does not make sense."  But in some small way I have to make it make sense by doing what I feel is right and thus find personal meaning in my world.  Yes we live in a world of paradoxes; and the Bible is full of them.  I am free to do what makes sense to me whether others appreciate it or not.  I am free to be who I am.  I do not need the world to stand and applaud when I do good nor to boo when I fall flat on my face because if you try to please people it often does not work.

"People are illogical, unreasonable and self-centered."
" LOVE THEM ANYWAY."      "DO GOOD ANYWAY."

I met the activity worker, who is being laid off.  She is worried about money but glad she will be able to spend some time over the holidays with her daughter.  As soon as she sees me she says I am so glad to see a smiling face.  I tell her about the box lunch and it so happens she got so busy she had come to work without any lunch,  She was extremely grateful.

I end my visiting making tea for Shirley and reassure her all will work out.  We laugh together as I share my grumpy old man story.  Then this reminds her of a story and away we go spinning tales back and forth.

Yes, I will go again and again knowing he is a lonely and angry old man who is frustrated because he cannot look after himself.

No comments: