Thursday, December 9, 2010

THE PAST

Dad travelled into Ladner to go to the old Ladies store where he used to by me things many, many years ago.  He was disappointed it was not there.  I had been to the church doing hampers and then going out for lunch.  Today I will bake a few cookies to take to the Nursing Home and try to clean up a little.  Right now that means hiding things in closest and under the bed and doing a little dusting!

I was remembering Christmas when I was young; with all the excitment.  Dad decorated the tree and I wonder where those old oraments went to. Of course mom did lots of baking and I helped especially cutting up the fruit for the fruit cake.  Shortbread and mincemeat tarts were very important; and gingerbread cookies.  I love the smell of baking at Christmas even the little I do. 

Then there was helping dad wrap the parcels for England with brown paper.  I had to put my finger on the knot so that it got tied good and tight.  For Christmas from my Grandpa and Aunts and Uncles we usually got candy and books which I loved.

Christmas dinner was either at our house or next door at Jennie and Stan's.  We took turns.  They were an older couple who where like grand parents.  I would go to her house after school for cookies and to play cards.  She made me my favorite rag doll.

Walking to the church in the snow and in the dark Christmas Eve was magical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is too bad the store was closed. Do not worry about cleaning your house for all of us, as soon as we are there it will be messy again and we will not even notice if you spent 10 minutes or 10 hours cleaning.
Sandra