Thursday, March 17, 2011

STORIES

I had a very enjoyable day yesterday.  I met my elderly neighbor walking over by the park and we are going to start walking together.  She always walked with her husband and she wants to start walking again.  I am looking forward to doing this.

We enjoyed visits from Jane, who so kindly brought us soup, and later Cathy with her daughter Gracelyn.
In the morning we dropped off the books with dad's blog and mine to friends who have asked to see them.
Then carried on to Choices to buy Gluten free soap. shampoo and hand lotion.  My skin is very sensitive and I can easily break out in itchy spots.  Yes, I may be getting carried away but I am open to trying these things.
My cold is slowly taking it's time to get better and although I know drinking lots of water is good it is a problem at my age.  I have to go steady with my bathroom.  But I am feeling ever so much better today!

All religions tell a story.  They began in the oral  stories which captured the powerful drama of ancient religion.  These stories were written down and became sacred texts that have sadly been turned into dogma and rules about behavior.  They painted a picture of God which stirs our imaginations and helps bring light into the shadows of our reality.

Dad is wonderful at telling stories, even some pretty unbelievable ones.  Yesterday we where talking about how my leg was cut by a flying axe and the miracle that I did not lose my leg.  I cannot imagine not being able to walk.  We all read stories that draw our attention.  Scientists read scientific stuff while I like stories about human nature, spiritual and uplifting books as well.

We are programming our brain by what we read.  This  brain has evolved by solving tasks essential for survival.  The brain absorbs information but it is also important for it is to involved in creating and dreaming.
" There is a world creeds and doctrines, a world beyond words and a world beyond religion." 
Living From the Center by Jay McDaniel

For me this means that religion as I know it is in a process of change.
Religion, faith or spirituality can actually stimulate the brain, which can create belief which is usually based on historical leaders such as Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha and Confucius.  Religion calls people to come together in a sacred place like a church or synagogue or mosque to read and remember the words of the prophets and the words of the gospels and to share our stories with one another.  The life that burns within the hearts of these writers has the potential to set the soul on fire.  This can be dangerous if it gets out of control so that is why dogmas and church doctrine took over.  Different religions have different emphasis.

For someone to whom hell is very real,  then there is a great need to be saved; and belief is what saves you.  While others are drawn to the gospel of doing good works and find salvation in that.  I think both are necessary if we are to find security and comfort in who we are and what we are.  I think that the spirit gives us freedom  to search for answers that touch our hearts as well as our minds. 

We are spiritual being having an earthly experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope you continue to improve mum
ken