Sunday, March 6, 2011

PARADOX

This is me trying to climb up into this giant tree on our Saturday afternoon walk in the park.  We went into another unfamiliar entrance and stay right on the main paths so did not get lost at all.  We are becoming very sensible in our old age.  Today was another pretty nice day but dad did not feel like going into the park so I just walked down to the store.  I wanted some of my bread and of course I took pictures on the way.  I was gone over an hour which was surprising.

Enjoyed church today although we were sorta late because had to make sure the towels were clean etc just in case the bath renovators come over.  We do seem to be slow in the mornings as I guess we are used to not hurrying.

I fineshed reading my chapter.  Rick can read a book very quickly it seems; and I feel proud of myself
 reading a chapter.  But then I am reading about the history of religion and God and finding in the last two pages it is a paradox. 

In the writings of Denya he insists that God is nothing because He does not possess "being" in any sense that we could understand.  But Gid is also "Everything" because every single creature that God informs becomes a theophaney, a manisfectation of God.  We are reminded of the inadequacy of all theological language, even words of scripture.  There is a time when a community benefits from a litergy that can be beautiful and full of symbolisum, and there is a time for a silence that allows us to forget ourselves and want to be open to the presence of God that may surprise us and fill us with wonder.

Augustine insisted that there should be no unseemly quarreling about scripture as people who engage in acrimonious discussion of religious truth were simply in love with their own opinions and had forgotten the main teaching was to be loving; of neighbor and of God.

I have had trouble finding this picture because it was not where it was suppose to be.  O well.

Now we are off to Bible study or book study driving to Nick and Drena in Langley.  We srart and end early so that is good for us early birds.  Early to bed and early to rise!

I made it up into this tree but sure needed a hand down.  Some people walking by also volunteered!

No comments: