Thursday, March 3, 2011

HAPPINESS

I had a dream that I was given lots of money, not thousands or millions, but just enough to go back and buy every book I wanted in the bookstore.  It was a very happy dream and I am so thankful that I enjoy reading so much.  I went back the next day just to take a picture, hoping that no one saw me, but what is the worse that they could think that I was a spy or maybe just a little idiosnytric.  And while I was there I just happened to pick up a few more books.  Happiness is sitting in my chair with all my books around me wanting me to read them.  There are so many wonderful ideas in the world and so many stories to be told.

I am reading another book about Jesus and it is from an entirely different perspective.  The story weaves into the life of Jesus experiences that gave him the insights into the lives of others.  He may have been shut out of the synagogue because of his doubtful birth, he may have been beaten by a Roman soldier as he wander along the road trying to find his way in life, he knew what it was like to have no home and to have others make fun of him.

This makes the experience he had when he was immersed in the water and baptized by John the Baptist so powerful.  The heavens open and a voice spoke saying "You are my beloved son in whom I am well pleased."

In ancient Jewish thought the heavens are view as a hard shell to protect the earth; and the earth was a disk-shaped bubble surrounded by water.  Not only was this a vision of a miracle that would now give Jesus the words to declare to the world that God's powerful presence could not be contained by superstition and false belief but was free to move through the earth to release spiritual power to set people free and to bring them happiness in whatever situation they were in.

Jesus received a new heart that day, I believe, and he would tell this story to his disciples to share with them that the promise of Ezekiel of a new heart and a new spirit was a gift that all could receive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the big book stores are going bankrupt here.
Ken

Anonymous said...

the big book stores are going bankrupt here.
Ken

nancy-Lou said...

I too, love books and they keep coming home with me. AS I sit and write this I have three books on art and one fiction called The Gargoyle by a Manitoba writer, Andrew Davidson. I have an e book reader now and am surprised that I like it.....the portablility of it is great and it is light to hold, especially for some of those huge tomes, like the pillars of the earth. I bought a little light for it and now reading in bed is pure pleasure, NO cramped hands.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think the big stores here are having trouble too. Books are very expensive and you can get so many things from the library, which I do too.

Larry has an e-reader but so far I have not used it.