Friday, December 21, 2012

A ROSE.

                " A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses." Chinese Proverb

It is in giving that we receive. This year we are not out looking, with all the frantic shoppers, for the perfect gift. Although done in a spirit of fun and of love it can be a happy experience. Years ago families often made presents and so put a lot of thought and creativeness into their gifts.  Times change.  Things that I would buy would not always be what some one else wanted.  Tastes change.
But I do miss the excitement of hidden presents under the bed.  Some lay hidden there through Christmas. 

Thursday I do my visiting at the Seniors Home and I know there is no better gift than I could give to Jim than his milkshake.  All went according to plan except after getting the milkshake I drove right by the Seniors Home and ended up about three blocks away headed of course in the wrong direction.
My visits went well and it is amazing all the stories some of these older people tell.  I was also given a present from the staff in appreciation which was nice.  Meanwhile dad was brave and went out Christmas shopping.

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness."  -Seneca

In the morning as I looked out the world was black and white with some lumps of snow here and there.  I am not sure how slippery the path will be.  The day begins after writing;  with my journey meeting dog walkers and school children.  I am a big orange blob with white boots and wind-mill arms.

Words create change.

In my book I read about a gang member feeling his life is worthless runs from a rival gang and bumps into an old lady.  She stops him and says:  If anything happened to you, it would break my heart in two.  I have seen you playing with your nephew in the park.  I've seen you feed the homeless at church.  What a generous and good thing that is.  If anything happened to you she says again
I would be broken hearted"

Not long after that things changed for Speedy, her words had made him feel good,
and he decided he wanted to change.
---Tattoos on the Heart.

He had decided to what author Richard Rohr says" "live his way into a new way of thinking." 

I wonder how Mary felt when she told Joseph the news and he walked away. 
I  think they both would have had heavy hearts.   Thank goodness they both said yes
I think he must have loved Mary unconditionally.

Love creates family!


(Friday very cold windy and icy so very short careful walk.)

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Funny, I was singing in my head as I fell asleep "Love is like a magic penny, hold it tight.." sort of the same idea as your rose hand quote. Randy and I will be going shopping some time this weekend too. Busy day today as usual, going to the dump, taking old table to thrift store, checking on his car to see what was damaged.
Sandra

Shawna said...

Hi Grandma! Christmas will be here as son as you know it!

Miss You and Grandpa! Love u!

nancy-Lou said...

My friend Beth.....You see beauty in things that others would pass by....as the rose bowing it's head with it's icy headress and the same goes for the beauty of your words, that you so kindly share with us daily and the beauty of your spirit that shines on in giving to others. A special lady, so glad to have you as my friend. Carl and I wish you, Larry, and your family a Merry Merry Christmas. Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Melina and I both working today , Noona looking after the kids for a few hours. Melina has finished shopping, I have a couple of gifts to buy. Heating up here again, should be in the 40c by Sunday.
Ken