Sunday, December 2, 2012

TATTOOS

It is not raining but cold and dark and windy.  Do I really want to go out when I could just as easily go back to bed?   Saturday morning is very quiet on my walk until I meet a man throwing up.  Yuk.
Then there are two boys who look like they are buying drugs, so I pull my hood down and hurry on by. My heart is beating a little faster but I feel safer as I get close to home. 
 To quote Mr . Monk it's a troubled world out there!
 
 

 
I find another treasure at the library called: "Tattoos on the Heart." The foreword calls it a breathing-taking series of parables distilled from the life experiences of Gregory Boyle working with the gangs in the barrio of Los Angels. Stories like these gladden my heart and lift my faith not because they all have happy endings but they reveal what God can do through human kindness and hard work.

William Blake wrote, "We are put on earth for a little space that we might learn to bear the beams of love." The whole ministry of Jesus was reaching out to those who felt left out, rejected and unlovable. Even though Gregory gets exasperated at a young man who rejects his kindness until he tells him he is a hero for trying to change his life that calls for even greater courage than being a gang member. He tells him he is a giant among men. The young man just stares at him for awhile then he says,   " Greg  I'm going to tattoe that on my heart."

Yes positive words do stay with us.  If even one person who matters believes in us it is great!

"It's when we face for a moment the worst our kind can do, and shudder to know the taint in our own selves, that awe cracks the mind's shell and enters the heart." -Denise Levertov.

It is not easy to live what you believe but to tell the truth I agree with Gregory when he says "not much in my life makes any sense outside of God".

I read the paper and the article about John Furlong accusing him of being harsh when he was a young teacher at the native residential school.  When I was at school if you were bad you were sent to the principle and got the strap.  There were a few boys that bragged about it.

I stayed home from the craft sale because I thought we were going out for potluck at 5:30. 
Wrong day.  It is to-night.

 Jasmine is feeling better  after being sick with the stomach flu.   They were to go to their cousins first year birthday but the birthday party is cancelled for a week. Matthew was very excited about going and was climbing the door jam. 

All is well that ends well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jassy had a good sleep,she stayed home from the gym as she she still has a bit of tummy upset. I wish you would walk later or with someone. It is not safe at that time with no one around.
Ken

beth bennett said...

On a normal week-day I meet lots of dog wakers and joggers and familiar faces. I do enjoy it.
Do not worry I am fine.
Love mom