Monday, December 3, 2012

TRADITION

I also walk by two churches on my daily routine and one Mosque.  It is usually starting to get light by the time I walk up the hill back to home.  I like to read some of the signs they have out front which can be quite humorous.

I come from a tradition church going family where as dad's family was not "religious" at all although his grandmother was.  I wonder if this caused some family problems but it was never discussed.

Going to church, singing hymns, listening to the preacher, giving to the church and to the poor was a tradition I learned as a young child.   I believe the seed of faith was planted in my heart at a very young age.  Then as I reached those teen years I was influenced by my peers and it became less but still important to me.

Now the traditions of the church are being examined in the light of new knowledge.   
Now our  family does not feel the compelling urge to carry on these traditions. Somehow the
 beauty of worship and the joy of faith has not become a tradition.  My daughters tried to make
it a part of their family life but it just became less and less important and maybe they saw the hypocrisy's of it all.

Our children were exposed to a new sense of individual authenticity and the importance of choice.

"Citizens of a this "fractured" world must have a reason to choose if they are to choose well."
--"Christianity After Religion."  Everything is changing.

Yesterday dad and I did attend church where the tradition of lighting the advent candles was acted out.  Every candle on the wreath has a different color and a different meaning.  The first candle is for hope.  Hope not in the certainty of the future but our willingness to be open to it.  Christians believe that the birth of Jesus brought  hope and continues to bring hope for the poor, for the oppressed and a hope for justice.

We need to see the light that hope shines in the darkness; a hope that transforms our lives as we share our journey of faith with others.

Our day ended with a pot-luck dinner at Ken and Edna's.  This year they will have three young grandchildren there as their son is coming home from England.  Each year our family celebration changes and we are happy to have those who are able to come be with us.

Advent a tradition and a time to let go and be free of the past and receive the birth of new hope into our hearts.



  
from

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom. I like how you wrote about faith today. You could write a book. I'm leaning more towards new agey spiritual stuff like living in the moment and recognising the abundance in my life, which is part of christianity I'm sure but just delivered in a different package.
We leave for Honduras today. Panteli will bring him laptop but I'm only going online to see if I get responses to a couple of jobs I applied for.
I think we're coming home in February unless a job comes up sooner.
Carol

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a mosque around where you live. Have I walked by it and just not noticed, do you think?

Love,

Rick

larry bennett said...

rick Im sure you would recognize the mosque - it is maybe the largest in bc - it is right across from mcdonalds on scott road - it is where they had the riots because some wanted chairs to sit
on when eating - where the elections were rigged - etc etc.
Iknow you are not to observant - but even for you - not seeing the Mosque would be a stretch :)
ps my computer only makes capitals some of the time

beth bennett said...

Actually it is a temple Sikh.

Have a wonderful holiday Carol and Panteli
love mom

Anonymous said...

yes it took about ten years to build and about 50000 loads of cement...Jassy still not 100%, had a high temperature last night.Melina got her hair cut yesterday and is getting color in today inpreparation for Joan,s 70 birthday lunch tomorrow.Its a surprise thrown by her friends.
Ken

beth bennett said...

Say Happy Birthday to Joan. I hope Jassy is better, it is a worry, I am sure Melina will look lovely. Have fun.
love mom