Wednesday, December 5, 2012

QUEST

                                The quest to find a sense of peace and joy at this time of year.

My morning started with my quickest walk ever to get back to the house in time to met Sandra on her way to work.  I was very, very thankful  to not have to drive in that morning traffic jam.  I only had to go as far as our bank and the dollar store.  Had one more trip to mail last minute cards and buy more stamps.
.
No You guys I did not go in the temple, mainly because I wanted to be home in time for dad to see how he was.  A little pain and a little dizzy but recovered quickly.  Ken sorry you had a miserable night after going to your dentist.

Dad has a funny story about the temple and the crazy idea our church had to invite them over to our church for out weekly coffee morning.  We did not know at that time they put on a meal every day for a great amount of people and welcomed all.  I am friendly with a lot of East Indian people I met daily on my walk.

Too bad Ben had a fall on the ice and had to get some stitches in his chin.  His first.  Very upsetting for both him and his mom.  He felt better after hearing about all the stitches dad has gotten over the years.


What are we celebrating?  The birth of a baby?  A birth of hope?  Love and life!  In the Nativity story we see all of life's experiences in the various relationships, hardships, fears and disbelief, journeys and even the Wise Men on a quest for the birth of a future king.  They hoped to find a powerful  presence greater than any they had encountered. 

 We now know what the most precious gift  is,  to be with someone you love. 

My quest is to keep the spiritual alive.

I do like the traditional Christmas that draws me to church to a special baby to a time long ago.  There is now an awareness that people are looking for some form of the spiritual reality.  It is sad when religion has seen to be identified with the external and institutional form and spirituality is more a personal inwardness.  When I think what the early church did to spread the good news it was a message of both personal salvation in the midst of hardship and troubles:  and it also  meant a dialogue with one another caring and sharing whether it was food or shelter or prayer.

I know for some this year Christmas will be a difficult time.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

The traffic from your house to work was not that bad. It was a strange day at work though, very quiet. I think it being so dark and gloomy doesnt help either. It will be nice to have one party done and over with on Saturday.
Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

You walks look so interesting...up hill and down dales...through the woods and past gardens with beautiful flowers. Yes, Advent has come and the preparation for the celebration of the Christ Child has begun. Although the past few months have been difficult we will still have a quiet and happy Christmas....we are looking at the bright side of things and very thankful for the many blessings we have. Faith,Family, Friends and our Community.

Anonymous said...

Good for Ben - lucky guy -- I had to wait a lot longer to get my first stritches! Now he can brag around the school-yard. I envy him.

Too bad the coffee-party meeting didn't come about with the Sihkers. Not too late. Don't have to invite the whole crowd!

I'm not so fuzzy about Christmas myself.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

That should be "fussy"