Sunday, December 23, 2012

THE UNEXPECTED



                                 This is a fun time of year to be open to the unexpected.
                                Dad and I ended up here unexpectedly.


Christmas is about a journey that can surprise us when we end up in an unexpected place.  We meet old friends as dad and I did when we were  out shopping.  We now go to different churches but still love to hear about what is happening and changing in their lives and the life of their church.  No matter where we feel we belong;  we take with us a sense of our own identity but also a sense that the unexpected can happen as  we build new deep relationships. 

The apostle Paul writes "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

I find myself being moved by those who are sad at this time of year,  My neighbor Jeff whose dear aunt has just died and for others who are not well.    For myself I am trying   to be open to new growth, new insights and new strengths.  God is mysteriously within us all and that image is " intrinsic"  to my identity and the way I see others.  The gospel writers all saw and heard the teachings of Jesus in different ways,  We would like them to harmonize and give us a clear picture of chronological events.

As we read about Mary and Joseph we think about all the unexpected things that happened in their lives.  After these amazing experiences they settled down to an ordinary life of being a family.  As a family they would become apart of a community where Jesus would learn about the scriptures, about prayer and worship, giving alms and acts of kindness.  He would be an observer with the heart of a desire to believe and to become all God may ask of him.

Spirituality can be linked to all human experiences but becomes more vibrant and alive with imagination and creativity.  Happiness and goodness, beauty and truth are all a part of what is called spirituality.  I feel it from within.  The miracle of birth speaks to the miracle of life.  Birth and death are part of an never-ending circle.  When we share these experiences of touching each others lives we gain wisdom and deeper compassion.  We all need to receive and give love along with sustaining hope.  Faith gives me hope as I trust in the awareness of God, my Savior.

I am reading Luke 1:47 in church today.  I am a little nervous.

My soul magnifies the Lord,  and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Rick arrives to day and I pray for a safe journey.  Ready or not Christmas is almost here!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I did a comment first thing and then Randy came and went on Facebook before it was posted. Here is to a year full of happy unexpected surprises! Our first 2 rows of hardwood are down, Randy has gone to get the nailer, it is going to be a very noisy day. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Yes one more sleep down under. Very hot here still,31c when I got home from work late last night. We are doing Christmas breakfast before I go to work tomorrow.
Ken

nancy-Lou said...

Do you still have snow or has the rain washed it away? We are frosty, -25 this morning. love, nancy