Wednesday, September 12, 2018

HOME BODIES

There is no place like home, no matter if it is small or large.  I feel so badly for those people who have to leave their homes in the States because the Hurricane is coming.  They must be terrified.

I was thinking back to the years when dad and I were dating.  We spent a lot of time sitting around at his house talking to his mom at the kitchen table.  We went to the odd movie and had the  double dates and spent time at  the local teen-age hamburger place.  Dad's favorite was the hot hamburger sandwich.  I would steal a few chips from his plate.

We did not go to dances or to places where liquor was served instead Saturday night would find us home at his place to talk and watch the hockey game and Jackie Gleason.  My parents did not worry about me,

Sunday dad would have Sunday dinner with us with roast beef  and Yorkshire pudding and pie!

I think we were real home bodies.

As a teenager I would love to go and cheer at out high school football games and at the junior hockey games.  I was impressed when I met dad that he was a hockey player,  but that was not the main reason I fell in love with him.  .  He was good looking and  talkative and fun  to be with and kind and considerate to my parents.

Dad would often be away playing hockey out of town and he remembers these trips with great enthusiasm. I would have liked to been there.  Hockey has always been an important part of his life. Later on I would see him play in his middle years and senior years.  He was an exciting player  even then. and scored many goals.

It was fun double dating in the car with the rumble seat and my girlfriend and I sat out in the back.

Good memories of what was important to me then and still is now of spending time together and also being with family.

I will join dad as we watch the Humboldt Bronco's play their first game after the bus crash.
A very emotional game remembering the boys who died.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I am definitely a home body! The best part of any trip is always coming home. I guess I just like to feel safe and the excitement of travel in unfamiliar places does not float my boat.

Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

Scars and missing teeth made hockey players in the 1950s very attractive! (sarcasm)

Love

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

what an interesting blog, Beth. It is nice to hear about you and Larry dating and the talks and rumble seat. Good old fashioned fun!

I too, remember the Sunday roast beef dinners with yorkshire pudding. They were a tradition at our house too. My Mom was a good cook, and being British she cooked a lot of British foods.

Hockey was very popular in our house too. Carl played hockey most of his life until the later years and our two sons also played. Lots of cuts and bruises and stitches. Bob was goalie and he was pretty imposing at 6' 4". Mark played defense and was fast on his skates.

I am a homebody too....it is where I want to be almost all the time. I like to cook and bake and take care of the home and those I love.

today I am putting away summer clothes and moving my bedroom back to the winter floor plan. In the summer I have to move the bed to the opposite wall or I get frozen by the air conditioner.

We had a huge storm last night. In fact I think it was two storms. Thunder shook the house for many seconds, and it shook and the thunder rumbled and the lightening seemed to be right beside the house. Very loud and noisy. We received 2-1/2 inches of rain, which was sorely needed to replenish the wells and streamways and the forests. I am glad for our well too, as it is a dug well and relies on an underground stream.

Well I am back to work, have a lovely day,

Love Nancy

Client Strengths said...

Nice post.

beth bennett said...

Nice comments