Friday, November 14, 2008

THE CHRISTMAS BOX


How hard can it be to put this Christmas Box together? Larry and I found it difficult and we are not sure it is done right even now. I grabbed this box at church thinking that we would fill it and give to less fortunate children than our own.

When I went visiting yesterday I nearly walked right by May's room. She is 100 and she was asleep in her big chair, she looked so tiny and frail. I hesitated but decided I would just sit with her for awhile. She sensed my presence and reached for my hand even though at first she did not know who I was. She told me how close she had been to death a few days ago and what a comfort her family had been to her. She misses her home and talked about some of her treasures she had been forced to give away. She was happy to have my visit.

How hard can it be to keep the story alive that gives meaning to Christmas?

It is hard to see older people suffering but even harder to see the children. Jesus could not save the world but taught others to go out and bring peace to everyone because we are all worthy to receive food and clothing; comfort and blessing.

No comments: