Monday, December 14, 2009

CHANGES


Life is full of the unexpected like our son suddenly having to move from a very beautiful home just before Christmas. Thank goodness he is able to move closer to his work and into what appears to be a nice home near the water that he will share with other tenants who will be in the basement and he has the top floor.
Life is full of sorrow that seems even more tragic this time of year. Our grand daughter Leah and her boyfriend rear ended in a very serious traffic accident. They were stopped at the red light and hit extremely violently from behind. Both are now in pain and off work. Leah is in pain that travels from her neck all down her spine. She is taking pills but still is in bad and finds all movement difficult.
Carol and Panteli's dog; actually Kim's dog, died tragically on Saturday. Animals become part of our family and we become so use to them being in our lives. Now the house seems empty as no one comes to greet them. Very sad news for Kim in the Cayman Island.
Our hearts grieve and our intellect tries to understand but we cannot shake off the sadness. There are many things in life we seem to be in control of but accidents and tragedy comes to each one of us at times.
"Woven into the flesh of our hearts" joy and sadness humble us and hopefully transform us. One thing we always have the choice to learn and that is compassion. A young man stood in the shadows as I walked to the Safeway and mumbled something. I felt unsafe so I walked by but inside I thought well I could offer to buy him a sub if he is hungrey; but when he came out he had moved down to infront of the liquor store and I decided again just to walk by. If he wanted to buy booze I am sure there would be others who would have compassion on him.
There is an old saying that humans make plans and the gods laugh. Dad keeps telling me to stop making plans but I reply I have to plan out my days or things never get done. I personally have found people being so kind to me that at times I am overwhelmed. We know that we can count on Sandra and Randy at any time to resue us and feed us!
Yesterday Theresa dropped by with the glutin-free bread and a pizza, Carol brought a glutin free chocolate cake, everyone of at the garage where I went to get a package of stamps; standing in line to pay for their gas, came with grace to help me find them when I dropped the whole pack in amongs some bottles piled up for display. The clerk came and started disassembling the bottles and everyone joined in the search. I disrupted whole store but we were all laughing as we searched. Later in the day our neighbors came and shovelled off out driveway and sidewalk.
"The intellect is a valuable but incomplete tool for transformation"
-Everyday Holiness by Alan Morinis.
Humility and prayer take us deeper through the woods of despair into the place of peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad to hear about Roxie, I guess I should enjoy my dogs while I have them? There is talk of a big dump of snow tonight,maybe the weight of it will bring down some power lines and dad can fire up the generator!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sandra I just added your name to the list of helpers because you and Randy have done so much for us and we know we can always count on you.

Good suggestion about letting the young people take over the decisions at the church and us oldies just let go and be prepared for change. love mom

Anonymous said...

Good thing everyone tried to help you find the stamps. Did you find them?

I got your Christmas card, by the way.

I'll be mailing some tomorrow.

Love,

Rick