Thursday, December 3, 2009

A TIME TO LISTEN

Take time to enjoy the simple beauty of life knowing that it is always with us. Christians call this Emmanuel God with us and that is the message of this season. Come O Come Emmanuel we sing from our hearts longing to be filled with the peace that passes understanding.
I had a lot planned for today but last night changed all that. A friend came needing a place to stay, a safe and quiet place, to express the grief of the loss of her brother. It seems that we cannot avoid pain and misery and to each of us there will come a time of grief. I will be a listener today but I have no answers. Grief has to be expressed to ease the deep burden of sadness that the soul is carrying. Learning to let go in life, as I was reminded of in home group last night, to let go of expectations that I put upon myself.

I could not sleep last night trying to sort out what I could say today but I realize the only comfort I can give is to listen and to care. The ancients talk about the gift of tears and their grief was expressed in wailing and moaning, that is not our society. We often fail to express the sadness in our hearts and in failing to do so we become depressed and feel alone.

Jesus came and lives in us to share our burdens and give us strength and courage to share the burdens of others. The past will always be apart of our future and teach us what is really important in life. Jesus wept over Jerusalem like a mother over her child. He too cried tears of pain for a world unable to see or hear or believe.

Many sad things happen at this time of year and we are reminded that joy and sorrow are with us all. For me I am looking forward to seeing loved ones yet there will always be a little sadness as we miss others who will not be coming this year.

For today I am praying that I can be a good listener but I know that only God can truly comfort and heal our pain and our brokenness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, if there is a God, then it only by working through lowly humans such as your self that God is able to give any comfort or strength or what ever. Sorry to hear about Cathys brother, was there an accident or an illness?
Sandra

Anonymous said...

True , hard to find the words .
Ken