Saturday, December 19, 2009

THE FLAME


There is warmth and beauty and light that fascinates us as we look into the flames of a fire.
Faith offers me an unconditional love that burns within my soul. It can almost go out but it is really always there. I believe that the birth of Jesus was to bring peace into a world of violence and poverty where people had lost hope.
Religion is made up of many stories. Words from the past that hold a deeper meaning. Words that are powerful and life-changing. We are given the choice to read and to reason and discover ancient truth that brings light into our own darkness. A light that can become a passion and a path to journey upwards. A path that can be difficult testing our strength and we question if we are on the right path. I have walked this path all my life and my relationship with Jesus has given me courage and a strong heart.
I love the story of the nativity because it contains the joy of a baby's birth and the struggles of the parents. Mary risked her life becoming "with child" and lost her reputation as she was chosen to carry this child in the safe place of her womb. We live in a world where many children are not safe and live lives of abuse and neglect. This is so sad. We struggled as young parents to do our best to provide and to care for and to love our children. It was difficult and very hard work for me. I remember back to the months Larry's Gannie lived with us and the exhaustion that brought me to tears. I remember the day when I felt I could not carry on but I did. I wish I had been healthier but it would be many years later that I was diagnosed with celiac.
My mind is wandering so back to the story.
"And this shall be a sign for you; you will find a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.----Luke 2:12
I find the Old Testament stories hard to read but I love the prophetic message hidden within the words that seem harsh and God seems angry and hard.
Jesus revealed the divinity in our humanity when we open our hearts to a loving and holy God.
There have been many signs in my life that have affirmed me.
I love holding a baby in my arms and I love hold little hands when we walk together. I love looking into little eyes that can sparkle with joy or be full of utter sadness. Life is not fair they feel and yes life is unfair. We do not get what we want. And even if we do we may have to work for it or wait for it.
Imagination births many stories and I like to imagine that I have a big hand that pulls me out of my despair and holds me close when I need some extra loving!

No comments: