Tuesday, December 15, 2009

THE SNOW IS HERE




This is the wind blowing the snow down off our roof.


Ben geing very helpful



Mother and child at the concert




Snowy mountains on the way to Chilliwack.





It is beautiful, bringing a blanket of quietness that is so peaceful. Some people will be happy but others worried if they have to drive or even walk in it. The ice beneath the snow is what makes it dangerous. I have no plans for today which is a good feeling. Dad will probably want to go and try out his car in the snow. I am a little annoyed that we did not get some snow melting stuff for our driveway and sidewalk. I worry about us falling and about the paper boy or the mailman. It seems the snow is melting on it's own already.

I have pictures somewhere lost in this computer I will see if I can find later.

Lots to be thankful for even if we are feeling a little sad. Good news yesterday with the results of all my tests which is always a relief. It was good to be at home last night with the snow falling and the Christmas tree up and adding colour to our room. I have run out of Christmas cards so no more can I do. I have three presents wrapped, all from Santa, and one more to buy. I have a book I ordered to be picked up at Chapters so I think we may do that today. Other than a few phone calls I am free to have a bad hair day and just be lazy.

I am reading about Catherine Daugherty, a baroness in Russia prior to the revolution of 1917. She came to the States a pauper but she did not let her fears close her heart or lose her faith. Her faith opened her eyes to see others who were suffering because of poverty. Eventually she founded Friendship House, a place of refuge for the poor of Harlem.

If we could see that true faith is a life adventure not a response to a set of rules, tedious and predictable, that instead of calling us to reach out to others somehow can make us feel superior.

Yes God is unpredictable and His spirit moves in ways that seem uncomfortable and challenging. We in the church are still searching for ways to make it real and valuable to the up-coming generations. Yes, it would be wise if we turned it over to them to create the kind of church they feel they would like to be apart of. Scary but do we have a choice?

I believe that everyone wants to have some kind of faith worth believing in and living for!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have thought you would have salt, what with your steep driveway. Oh, and I had another idea about your church. Have you sent out a "committee" to some thriving church to see what they are doing that you can incorporate into your church? Have you ever looked into renting out to another denomination for them to have services at your church? I will keep thinking of things. And it was raining on my in today,so hopefully the snow will be all gone by the time Mary getts here on Friday.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

it is 40c here today , what i would'nt give for some snow and rain . We have the Christmas tree up ( then Matt pulls the balls off ) and it feels like Christmas . Not much snow for Dad's trial run .

Ken