Wednesday, December 16, 2009

GOOD RELIGION


Good religion shines a small beam of light for us to see by!
The role of religion is to connect us to the awareness that we are one with the Mystery of all that is and was and shall be. I love the name of God "The Ancient of Days". The more I recognize and honor the truth I see in other religions the more difficult it is to see that anyone of us has a corner on the truth; but each one of us has good values to help us live out what is good for all. I would never change my religion even with all it's faults because it is the foundation of my faith.
According to Marcus Borg good religion is about living by grace, freeing me from my own need of salvation, it is an emphasis on compassion with a social vision, and about my relationship with the being right here with me not way out there.
The church has a significant role to play in my life and a place to express my feelings and my longings knowing I may not know the answers that I seek but enjoy the journey that has captured my passion.
Well after one attempt at making a cake and three trips to the store I am ready to go to our study Christmas supper. My baking never looks like the picture so maybe I will take a picture of what real life looks like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is good. Religion is bad.

(You seem to be resisting this conclusion Mother. You are so stubborn!)

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Dear Rick
lol Stubborn can be a good trait and yes I believe that hidden in the legalistic man made rules that sek to destroy the soul instead of setting it free there are pearls of wisdom.

Good subject for another blog.

Anyway I believe if we look for the good we will find the positive and I try to live by that.

Love your stubborn mom!