Monday, December 21, 2009

THE GIFT OF MUSIC

We moved up nearer the front to hear the music and take a picture of all our favorite people.
The children sing and dance at Ben's concert! There is music from around the world!

Morgan acting out a game at home!


"If you want to understand spirituality, just listen to the music; it can lift you out of ordinary existence into the extraodinary-into spiritual ectasy". Douglas Todd Vancouver Sun. Music can past a spell over you that takes you to a different place. Music has brough tears to my eyes and joyous memories to my heart but most of all music becomes a prayer that fills the universe'

"The only proof you need that there is God is music." Kurt Vonnegurt

When we sing "O Silent Night O Holy Night" there is a holy peace that comes. I believe that music surrounds us and lives on in our memories. Paul the apostle sang in prision to keep his spirits up. My mother would respond to music therapy by taping her foot, a small sign that she heard and was moved by the music. My eyes would fill with tears of gratefulness. There is a bond that connects us heart to heart deeper than even the words we say. It can be old favorites like even children's songs or a hymm or a popular chorus but there is healing power that music is able to express. "Some say that love, it is a river" expresses the emotions of love so very profoundly.

Music awakens the soul to the joy and wonder and beauty of all creation. My earliest memories are of the passion I had to sing. Mom and I sang as we did the dishes "All things bright and beautiful". I do not remember if her voice was special but we sang together and it was fun.
My dad played the piano and organ by ear as long as he knew the tune. Larry can do the same on the violin but he still needs to practice. I have wonderful memories of my dad so happy playing; enjoying every note.

Music can even break barriers of culture and race. Organs, guitars, drums, harps or horns etc. express more than we can say.

"Music can take our woundedness, our pain and our sorrow away, out of our soul, leaving us healed and whole and at peace, even just for a song. -"Jennifer Jonas sings for those in pallative care.

I love music and the music at the Vinneyard Church was especially meaningful for me at that time of my life. I enjoyed the Colebrook Choir singing their cantata so beautifully even though their voices were not as strong as they used to be.

I am so happy music is apart of our family and I have wonderful memories of the little band playing in our basement. We are passing on the love of music to the younger ones now. Who knows how far Hobey will go with his little band and Oliver with his big base and Craig with his guitar and all the others who love to listen and feel and experience the soul in the music!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you use to sing with Nana.

I learn something every day.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Did you see Hobey's video on u-tube ? ( the wolf at your door music ) if you want to view it .
Ken