Sunday, January 3, 2010

PATTERNS

"NATURE CONFUTES THE SKEPTICS
AND REASON CONFUTES THE DOGMATISTS."
Sunday and going to church is a normal part of the pattern of our lives and it feels good to wake up knowing that it is Sunday and it will feel like Sunday. Everyone has been so good to us this Christmas season and I have been feeling so good. Today we have been asked out for lunch again and good friendships are a big part of the patterns in our lives.
Friends dropped in yesterday who are going through a difficult time with their family. A death in the family adds to the broken relationships and worry over grandchildren. We are all reminded we have so little control over our lives. I would have given a million dollars to have felt this good last Christmas when Brittany and Brian where here and the snow kept us so house bound. But I look back and remember the fun times even although a lot of our plans did not work out.
I would describe my life as simple and uncomplicated and for the most part there is a pattern of serenity and peacefulness. There are so many things I cannot change, like dad's eating habits, I think it is better to eat small meals not two big meals, but death and taxes, bitterness and strife, sickness and disease and war and the young dying sadden my heart until I feel sick to my soul.
We can blame human greed or religion or race intolerance or the simple feelings of anger that flare up unexpectedly at the injustice of life.
I think if we could fill this world with music somehow that would help. If we could learn to take time for solitude and reflection we may see the pattern in our lives reflected in the lives of others. There is a unity in our humanity, although attitudes and culture can be different.
Jesus took time away from everyone to find in the solitude the presence of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at the ordinary and simple l find you write profoundly. Happy New Year. Love Jane

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written blog today mom, and perfect picture too.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

The only pattern I see is my weight gain every Christmas. Lol
Ken.