Thursday, January 14, 2010

THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE


The violent uncontrollable shaking of the earth brought death and destruction to one of the poorest countries, and we feel helpless as we see the grim reality of their suffering. I wonder who will name and bury the dead and who will rescue and help the dying?
Jesus has called us to be lights in the darkness and at times like this we are aware of how feeble our light really is. We are thankful that good people are already there helping and we pray that somehow there will be many hands to reach out to the wounded, comfort the dying and clear away the destruction. There are already people who are evil that are shooting and looting. Maybe they have already felt the hopelessness of live and this has driven them to kill and destroy the lives of others. My prayer is that now these people will receive the help they have so desperately needed and a new world will be built for them.
I am reminded that we need to keep relighting our candles so that where ever we are we can shine a little light upon those we love and friends and neighbors. I believe that our prayers are like the little candle we sang about as children that expresses our love and compassion for those who are suffering in situations we cannot even really imagine.
'Prayer is an expression of who we are" Thomas Merton
Others like George Buttrick see it as "a spasm of words in a cosmic indifference."
I have always prayed even as a child it just seemed natural. I was never taught words to say but I did not then nor do I now believe that these words go into the void. Instead they fill the incompleteness and the uncertainty that surrounds us all.
People hold prayer vigils with lighted candles to express what words cannot say but it shows the courage and indomitable spirit that grows stronger when we share our little light with others.
Lord Be there strength until help arrives. Amen
Cuba has already responded and thankfully there are some in the country already there to help.
Jazmine's Ryan is on the boat going to help. Pray that they will get water.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must watch the news more then me. The little bit that I catch in the morning does not really show how bad it is I supose. Sounds like there is lots of help on the way, that is a good thing.
Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes, dad has been watching it on all the news channels as well as on facebook etc. I was glad I had my group at Colebrook, just think more than 20 years we have been studying together and sharing our lives. We had goodies and a wee present for one girl that was turning 87 and is an inspiration to us all. She is now in a seniors home mostly because of the poor health of her husband but she is full of life still. They had a tea for her at the home so dad and I will take the present to her today. Gracelyn wants to come over for a visit and help me if I need some help. I was thinking if she really wants to do something we could clean the dining room, all the shelves etc need dusting and windows cleaned. I think she needs to feel the warmth of a loving home right now. love mom

Anonymous said...

The news from Haiti is very sad.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Such a tragedy in Haiti .Front page news here is of a womaw who found one child alive in the rubble , but the other three children are dead ..

Ken