Monday, May 3, 2010

SCAREDY CAT


This is me too afraid to crawl out onto the tree limb because I am afraid of falling.
I have never like heights very much and certainly never liked flying. But I had the courage to fly a long ways away with dad to the Dominican Republic which I still find a little unbelievable.

We feared we had lost the cell phone but it has been found in a old jacket pocket. Well, I keep saying we have too many jackets.

As we get older we face the fear of losing our memories but I hope I never lose my sense of humour such as it is. Life is full of fearful things; like failure, debt, intimacy, giving stuff away, dancing, entertaining. Life is full of uncertainty.

"Openness doesn't come from resisting our fears but from getting to know them well.
We can't cultivate fearlessness without compassionate inquiry into the working of ego. Up come all these thoughts, but rather than squelch them or obsess with them, we acknowledge them and let them go. Then we come back to just being here."
Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron

"Our heart feels so vulnerable and tender we fabricate walls to protect it. It takes determined inner even to see the walls, and a gentle approach to dismantling them.

Learning to rest in openhearted basic goodness is a lifelong process. Courage and compassion. Opening our hearts to suffering without shutting down. Slowly we learn to uncover the limitless qualities of love, compassion, joy and equanimity, and to extend them to others. To train in making our hearts this big takes bravery and kindness."

There is a basic goodness that can link us to others. We are blessed when we remember " that in every moment we are in the midst of cosmic rendezvous with the divine source from which we cannot be separated, even for an instant, and live."
Everyday Holiness by Alan Morinis, the Jewish spiritual path of Mussar.

I was sorry the Canucks did not win last night but I am glad it did not go into over-time because I was too tired to stay up and cheer them on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hm, sounds like you have been doing your reading. Lots of thought provoking stuff there.
Sandra