Saturday, May 1, 2010

COURAGE


Life takes a huge amount of courage. Constant pain and worry can drain us of energy and strength. I go through times when life seems a uphill battle but as I sit in my big old chair I watch the light reflecting and moving across the rug this small moment of beauty wakens new life in me.



Just last night as the night darkness closes in upon me as I wearily get ready for bed and I was thinking of all my children and their problems that seem endless. The moon and the stars and even the clouds remind me that there is light that is shining down on us all.

Today there will be a funeral service for a very special man who brought humour into the world of our church. We will gather with family and friends to remember his life and his courage.

Courage comes to me as I ask and I am reminded that I am worthy because I am loved and I have love to give. This is where the inner strength comes from. I choose to believe that I have been given all that I need for this day. I have to learn to say no to things I cannot do and that put too much strain on my body. I will walk a shorter way today and will take time to rest if and when I need it. I like all of us think we can do more than we have the energy and strength to do. I am the only one that knows how I feel and feeling older is not fun; but then all my life I have had a problem with fatigue; that being undiagnosed with Celiac for many many years did not help.

I am fortunate that as Mother's Day approaches the relationships in our family are being strengthened. Being a mom was exhausting fun but it was worth all of it.

Looking forward to being with family as we share our aches and pains, yes even my children are getting older and having to cope with aging. As we walked through the park yesterday, what a miracle dad is walking, I saw where the bike riders do there jumps and they looked so scary. I have never been a risk taker but am more comfortable with calm peacefulness.

THE BRAIN AND PRAYER

I am making an effort to pray with a thankful and believing heart. One song the elderly seem to remember is "Count your blessings, name them one by one".

It is now being proven that prayer activates different parts of the brain. Buddhists are known for their ability to calm their minds and meditate quietly.
I choose to put my trust in the words of scripture like Psalm 31.
In You O Lord; I put my trust. . . .
For You are my rock and my Fortress. . . .
For You are my Strength. . . . .
You have redeemed me.
O Lord God of Truth.

The Healing Power of Prayer - by Chester L. Tolson, Ph.D and Harold G. Koenig, M.D.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy first of may! dont worry too much mom, i dont think an of us to have that many problems.
sandra

Anonymous said...

A difficult day for Janette and family . Let us hope that the service and gathering today will be comforting and supportive for them as we mourn with them but also celebrate Gordon's life. Jane.