Thursday, May 20, 2010

WINDY NIGHT


The pond is still working this morning. What a kind thing the young man did to save the baby raccoons, putting them on a heating pad outside the roof, after chasing mom out with a hockey stick, and shutting the roof closed. I was wondering where they went last night.

Yes, I am late this fine morning after a sleepless night. The branches of the tree hitting our window; which I was sleeping through, until dad woke me up to look out the window. But we are fortunate to have one another so I am not really complaining but it does amaze me how he can go right back to sleep while I lay there listening.

My computer decided to shut me out this morning and I was starting to wonder if dad had changed my password as he did his. Because I could not get on I went to face book and read about Ben's head injury so back to prayer time. Theresa hit his head as she was closing the trunk after lacrosse practice. Accidents happen so darn fast and it happens to the best of parents. I think of the time I was running across the road the Kim fell and cut her lip and knocked out the tooth. I remember how bad I felt for her.

Today I am heading down to Choices to buy some brown rice buns to eat instead of my new flax bread just to see if this new bread may be causing me some nausea. Meeting Jane there for coffee. Dad is starting a new project making a new porch under the tree. Looks like a tree house and should be cute. I am so glad he feels like doing these building things again.

I am reading about the early history of the Christian Church and how quickly it changed from a Jesus movement that was fueled by faith and love into a religious empire controlled by priests [men] and prescribed doctrines of belief. Jesus who welcomed women to follow him as I believe as equals would not be happy with the birth of a new religion.

The church now is facing difficult times and will continue to do so unless it changes. Sadly the intellectuals have taken over and the message of love and acceptance has been clouded by the demand that we "believe right". I was caught up in the words that I was hearing especially about the inspiration of scripture but now I think that if humans are involved at all they have a slanted viewpoint from which they operate and try to lead others.

I have held many positions in the church and have even given sermons at the Vineyard and at the United Church. I think I spoke from my heart with the knowledge I had at the time. Religion is now being replaced with spirituality that is much freer and open to the wind of the spirit.

We talked in home church about our own journey of faith and how we are all different; we mentioned people in our lives who had touched us with their faith and helped us on our way. Your dad attended school because he was forced to to play hockey and his coach was the teacher. All he heard was a bunch of stories that did not impact his life. I loved going to Sunday school where Jesus was very real to me. There was no teaching on letting Jesus into your heart that I remember but I just knew he loved me. We sang it and my heart believed it!

So now we are this small group of people who meet to read scripture, discuss the message from the sermon and from scripture, and try to make it real in our own lives. Lots of laughter and grace. We end with prayer and thankfulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had to close the blinds as they were rattling too much in the wind.
It is sad that power and control always seem to creep in and corrupt good ideas, but seems to be a pretty constant theme through out history.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Good comment!
love mom