Sunday, February 6, 2011

FAITH

What does it really mean to have faith to believe?

Every gospel writer expresses their belief in who Jesus was in a different way.  Some thought that a virgin birth was important and that Jesus's  coming was foretold in Hebrew scripture.  It almost appears to be that the gentiles had an easier time having faith in Jesus.

Actually the word that is translated as faith, 'pisteuo', means trust, loyalty, engagement, commitment.  So belief originally meant to prize, to value, to hold dear.  Now we have the intellectual view that the word belief meant an intellectual assent to what may seem hypothetical or dubious. 

I like the translation of the word credo to "I give my heart" not I hold an opinion that others must agree with.
Jesus did not perform miracles to prove his divinity but to take authority over superstition and false fears.

Looking back on his life believers would want to prove that Jesus was more than a man and that the power of God did work miracles through his words, his touch and his love. I think today we struggle with what makes a person a Christian.  Again I think it is the words we say, the things we do, the love we express in many different ways.  I find it disgusting to see ministers building big empires with great riches calling themselves "Christians".  Some things done in the name of Christ make me sick.

I think it is important that we use our common sense and our own reasoning especially as we read the Old Testament.  If you had a group of Jewish teachers discussing scripture they would have different opinions.
The gift of faith is available to us all and I agree with the Jewish saying that God looks upon us and is happy when we think for ourselves.

There also is a story of Moses coming and sitting in on the discussion of the Torah revealed at Mount  Sinai and he could not understand anything they were explaining.  We need to put humor back into our faith.

I am glad we were able to visit Shirley, although I felt foolish running back and forth to the bathroom.  I never know when I will bloat up with gas.  She was delighted to see us and I will put pictures up later.  Going to the doctor but I have decided as long as the blood tests show I am absorbing the goodness  from my food that I will just continue to live with the times of stomach upsets.

So as we reflect on scripture we see a vision of history and a tradition that captures the mind and the heart

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, a very bible message this morining, but nice and short and sweet! Let me know how your appointment goes today with Dr Nolte. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes I know you like it short. I actually continued writing after 7.04 lol

love mom

Anonymous said...

Beth have you had a look at the Wesleyan Quadrangle in discerning theological questions . The four parts are 1, Scripture. 2, Tradition. 3 Reason and 4, Experience. For me this gives a balanced approach to study and reflection .
l hope all went well with your visit to the doctor and that there are some positive results .l am eally enjoying the sunshine! love Jane









reason a


































































































































nd knowledge and 4 Experience. For me this is a balanced approach to study and reflecthetion. l hope all goes well at the doctors office today and that re are some positive outcomes

beth bennett said...

No but that sounds very helpful. There is always so much to learn.
Love beth