Thursday, February 24, 2011

SPLENDOR

See the splendor of all of creation capture in the simple beauty of candles and flowers.  The gift of life is given with no promises of a life,  free of pain or sorrow,  but encourages us to use our suffering to heal others.

If we are willing to put aside our self-absorbed questions;  and choose to follow the path that God seems to open up before us,  there will be a relishing of our expectations on this journey so that  wherever it takes us and how ever long it lasts, we will perserve. 

I am reading about an author Reyolds Price's response to a young man dying of cancer who questions that God exists and If He does, does He care?  Reyonds had writen a book, A Whole New Life, that told us his ordeal with spinal cancer.  He felt it was an honor to reply to this young man who had found himself in a stark abyss of emotional and physical pain.

"I want to believe in a God who cares. . . . because I may meet Him sooner than I expected.  I think I am at the point where I can accept the existence of God {otherwise I can't explain the origin of the universe}, but I can't believe He cares about us."  The young man writes in his letter.

Reyonds describes some of his experiences of the manifestations of the Creator's  "breaking in upon his consciousness" with moments of awe and calm awareness that could best be described as harmony of one heart touching another.  He has had four experiences in his entire life but the most memorable and visual when "Jesus washed my cancer wound" and when the pain grew unbearable "I asked how much more pain must i suffer, and a voice answered More".  When he has shared these in earlier writings he received many letters from people who have shared similar experiences.

He has found information in Hebrew and Christian scripture but also in the writings of poets, painters, and composers.  His earliest experience was at six years old and has stayed with him always.  For those who have never had a transcendental experience he encourages the seeker to pray words from the heart even when there is only stillness, the face of silence.

I know from my own experience with being told I had lung cancer that at first I did not believe it and then I felt overwhelmed by fear.  Cancer changes your world and you have to look at what is important to you and how your life can still be meaningful.
God comes close to people in different ways and I am thankful for the faith I had that carried me through; and the love of my family!   My heart goes out to the people I know who are facing cancer.  There are many chronic illness that in some ways I think are worse.  Courage comes as we take it a day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True mom.
Ken